Your savory breakfast links:
- Recaps and other assorted musings from last night’s historic season opener win over the New York Rangers from us, Vogs, WaPo ($), AP, WHN, ESPN, Athletic ($), USA Today, Caps video (recap, condensed game, Laviolette, Oshie/Lapierre, Ovechkin/Vanecek), NBCSW, NoVa Caps (and again), RMNB, and SB Nation pals BlueShirt Banter.
- One of the many highlights from last night was Alex Ovechkin tying and then passing Marcel Dionne for fifth on the all-time NHL goals list; let the renewed chase for Gretzky’s record begin. [WHN]
- In addition to Lapierre and Ovechkin’s milestones, Coach Laviolette reached one of his own and earned his 674th career win as an NHL coach, the most for any American-born coach. [NoVa Caps]
- Washington’s offense last night was loud and proud, but don’t overlook Vitek Vanecek’s quietly great night in net. [NoVa Caps]
- The Caps’ new postgame locker room tradition involves...a Viking axe and shield? [NBCSW]
- Martin Fehervary plans to do his best to stay on the NHL roster and hopes a DC apartment is in his future. [WHN]
- A Q&A with Capitals’ GM Brian MacLellan might help clear up some of the news from the last week. [Athletic ($)]
- Noted rivals Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby sat down together to reminisce about a few rivalry highlights. [Sportsnet]
- The Capitals have started to look to the future with their lineup, but that needs to continue. [WaPo ($)]
- A look at what the week ahead might have in store for the Washington Capitals. [THW]
Finally, in case you missed this gem of a tweet last night...