Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: Prepping for today's matinee against the Bruins, checking in with Hershey, celebrating the captain's milestone and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Previews of today's matinee with the bruisin' Bruins from Vogs, NHL.com, WashTimes, AP and Peerless, and be sure to check in with our SB Nation pals over at Stanley Cup of Chowder for more from the other side of today's match-up.
- Notes and assorted whatnot from yesterday's practice:
- After arriving in Boston, the boys took to the ice at a slightly different venue than usual - Agganis Arena, home of the Boston University Terriers (and former stomping ground of Tom Poti). [Caps OT(and again), @VogsCaps, CSNW, and for more on the Poti/BU connex, College Hockey, Inc.]
- The Caps have tried a number of different options alongside Alex Ovechkin on the top line. The latest headed into today's game? Aaron Volpatti. That is not a typo. [WaPo, WashTimes]
- As injuries continue to decimate the Caps' defense, Steven Oleksy continues to step to the forefront, stepping up to fill the void in just his second week as an NHLer. [WaPo, WashTimes]
- Adam Oates and Ovechkin continue to build their relationship, one based on trust and mutual respect. [WaPo]
- A few leftover thoughts and notes from Thursday's big win, including more on Ovechkin's huge milestone goal. [CapsOT, CSNW, WaPo, WashTimes, NHL.com, THW, NewsObserver, Shutdown Line, Canes Country]
- This weekend kicks off the roughest stretch of the schedule (...wait, that was the easier part??) for the Caps, as they play six of their next seven - and seven of their next eleven - away from Verizon Center. [Dump 'n Chase]
- What does the future hold for ol' Michal Neuvirth? [RtR]
- Down on the farm:
- It's a big weekend across the organization, as the seventh-place Bears host Adirondack and Bridgeport before playing 11 of their final 14 on the road. [PennLive]
- The newest member of the squad, Chay Genoway, joined his team for practice yesterday, providing what was likely a very welcome body on the blue line. [PennLive]
- The Bears are within reach of a pretty impressive attendance mark, as they inch closer to an average of 10,000 fans per game. [PennLive (and again)
- Chuck Gormley takes your questions (and answers them, too!) [CSNW]
- At the midway point of the season, a former Caps' coach is in the Jack Adams conversation and a current Caps' GM is seen as being on the hot seat. [SI.com]
- Check out this beautiful game-winning goal by Filip Forsberg and dream of the day he'll be doing that in a pretty red Caps jersey. [RMNB]
- And finally, happy 42nd birthday to David Harlock, happy 53rd to Roger Crozier, happy 31st to Louis Robitaille and happy 35th to Brian Willsie.