USA TODAY Sports
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: Recaps of last night's loss to Carolina, in defense of Alex Ovechkin, another NHL debut and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Recaps and other assorted musings on last night's loss from us (with quotes, and look for Clyde's pics later this morning), Vogs, Monumental video (Oates, players), NHL.com, AP, SportsXchange, WaPo (gamer, blog), WashTimes (gamer, blog), CSNW (gamer, blog, Joe B.), DCEx, Sick Unbelievable, Peerless, RMNB, DSP, Capitals Outsider and RtR, and with the view from The Triangle, our SB Nation partners over at Canes Country.
- That loss was not fun - but admit it, the worst part was that the eventual game-winner was this "beauty" by Joe Corvo from Alexander Semin and Eric Staal. Blech. [Caps365, SBN]
- The Caps took plenty of lumps in this one, but at least a few were given back by Steven Oleksy in this vicious beatdown of Drayson Bowman. [Caps Basketball, RMNB]
- Alex Ovechkin has taken plenty of criticism lately - some deserved, some not so much - and his coach has had enough of it. [Bog, CSNW, WaPo, WashTimes, SLAM]
- Besides, it's not just on Ovi's shoulders... there's plenty of blame to go around for the Caps' struggles. [WaPo (Wise)]
- It's a big week for the Caps, as these games are, for all intents and purposes, playoff games. Hey, and we didn't think we'd get to see any this year! [NHL.com, CBS Sports]
- Checking in on the walking wounded:
- Brooks Laich took a self-proclaimed "huge step" by skating with the team yesterday morning and seemed rejuvenated by it. He's still a ways away, though... [WaPo, NBCW, CSNW, WashTimes (and again)]
- ...as is Mike Green, who is still dealing with that groin injury we've been hearing so much about. [WaPo, WashTimes, CSNW]
- With Green out, John Erskine being placed on the IR and Tom Poti developing another mysterious upper-body ailment, it was time to spin the wheel o' defensemen. Cameron Schilling, come on down! ...er, up. Down? [Caps, Dump 'n Chase, WashTimes, WaPo, THW, DSP]
- Naturally the call-up of Schilling (not to mention Oleksy) coincides with what is going to be a pretty critical weekend for the Bears, as they continue to battle for a playoff spot. Sorry, guys. [PennLive]
- Finally, happy 51st birthday to Grant Martin and happy 44th to Kevin "Killer" Kaminski.