Alex Ovechkin talks with his newest defenseman. (Picture courtesy Clydeorama)
Your savory breakfast links:
- On Friday at puck drop, the Caps reached an important milestone: They were able to deploy their full complement of defensemen for the very first time this season, with the only decision to be made being whom to scratch.
- By Saturday at puck drop, the decision-making got a bit more complicated, with Mike Green and suddenly John Erskine not able to go, and so Brooks Laich was tasked with blueline duties. [Dump 'n Chase]
- By the end of the game on Saturday the Caps were down yet another d-man, as Roman Hamrlik went missing about halfway through the second period. [CW (here and here)]
- Which is why it wasn't entirely surprising to find Bruce Boudreau conferring with Hershey Bears GM Doug Yingst at the Giant Center on Sunday. [SHoE, Caps Outsider, CSNW, WashTimes, Caps B-Ball]
- One player they got to see was the recently-acquired defenseman Tomas Kundratek, who suited up for the first time as a Hershey Bear and finished plus-1 on the night, on-ice for no goals against. [DSP]
- But hey, that whole playing defense thing? Brooks is cool with it. He even practices for it in the summertime. Y'know, just in case. [WashTimes]
- The forward corps is not without its concerns as well.
- The Week That Was, Volume 5... [Peerless]
- ...and The Goals Project, updated. Kinda wish there were more of them. [Peerless]
- Look up "clutch" in the dictionary and you'll find this video of Evgeny Kuznetsov and his game-winning, championship-clinching goal in yesterday's Karjala Cup final. [RMNB]
- A smallish news item in an article about CBA negotiations may get more traction this week - as the NHLPA begins its own audits of the various teams' books, it claims they've found under-reported hockey-related revenue for at least two teams - the Predators and the Capitals. Damien Cox is standing by. [NY Post, CI, On the Forecheck]
- Finally, happy birthday wishes go out to Brad Church, Jim Bedard, Rod Seiling, Bugsy Watson, and the one and only Joe Beninati.