Your savory breakfast links:
- Happy first day of training camp, folks! Keep track of the goings-on at MedStar with the schedule here.
- There are several key issues the Washington Capitals need to address as training camp kicks off today. [WaPo ($), WHN, Athletic ($), S+S]
- The Caps took the ice at MedStar yesterday for their Media Day, and the resulting content is excellent. [NoVa Caps, RMNB]
- An important goal for Michal Kempny this season: stay healthy. [S+S]
- What can fans reasonably expect from the Caps this year? [NBCSW]
- One critical piece of the Caps’ puzzle is their third line, and those players are going to need to step up big time. [THW]
- 2020 draft pick Hendrix Lapierre has a bright future with the Capitals. [S+S]
- Which Eastern Conference players have the potential to be the biggest “x-factors” for their teams this year, and which Cap made the list? [PHT]
- Only a small number of players have reached the 20, 30, or 40 goal mark in a season after age 35, but Alex Ovechkin should fit in with that group just fine. [NoVa Caps]
- Speaking of Ovi’s goalscoring prowess, and stop us if you’ve heard this before — catching Wayne Gretzky’s record will be hard but not impossible. [Puck Prose]
- There are several Capitals on the verge of some career milestones, so you’ll want to keep an eye out for those moments this season. [S+S]
- Get to know the Hershey Bears’ new coach Scott Allen. [ABC 27 News]
- Future Caps, Washington’s youth hockey program, has seen a lot of recent growth and helped introduce kids all across the D.C. area to the game. [USA Hockey]
- Previewing the Pacific Division, with the new Seattle Kraken, for the 2021-2022 season. [NoVa Caps (and again)]
- Finally, happy 70th birthday to Milan Novy!