Your savory breakfast links:
- Just what are GM Brian MacLellan’s plans for free agency this season (besides helping Alex Ovechkin avoid it, of course)? [NBCSW]
- Speaking of that Ovechkin guy and his pending contract, that’s one of the big stories of the freshly minted NHL offseason. [NHL]
- MacLellan and company would do well to tread carefully when it comes to that new Ovechkin contract. [S&S]
- Filling out a report card for Caps’ prospect Riley Sutter. [NoVa Caps]
- Happy 25th birthday to Shane Gersich.
- Finally, the Caps’ organization lost one of its alums on Thursday when Bryan “Bugsy” Watson passed away at the age of 78. The former blueliner played parts of three seasons for the Caps, and returned to the DC area after his retirement. RIP, Bugsy. [Vogs, NHL, AP]
We are saddened to learn of the passing of Bryan “Bugsy” Watson, who passed away yesterday at the age of 78.— Washington Capitals (@Capitals) July 9, 2021
Bugsy played 155 games for the Caps between 1976-79 and had a profound impact on the organization and city.
We extend our deepest condolences to his family and friends. pic.twitter.com/Sen7CMzKV0