Your savory breakfast links:
- On an already emotional night, the team rallied around T.J. Oshie as he helped lift them to victory. [Rink]
- The team chats about the Tom Wilson incident and its aftermath in the latest episode of Japers’ Rink Radio. [Rink]
- Recaps and other assorted musings on a feisty affair from us, Vogs, Caps video (Laviolette, Dowd/Backstrom, recap), NHL, AP, WaPo, NBCSW, Newsday, NoVa Caps, RMNB,
- The Caps all wore stickers on their helmets that said “Coach” in honor of T.J. Oshie’s late father. [NHL]
- As expected, the Rangers decided that a lack of discipline for Tom Wilson meant vigilante justice for his whole team, leading to a chaotic first period. [Game summary, NBCSW, WashTimes, ESPN]
- Okay, the ridiculousness was... ridiculous. But this was kind of funny.
100 penalty minutes combined were assessed between the Rangers and the Capitals in the 1st period alone. pic.twitter.com/zqLWZlyYMo— ESPN (@espn) May 6, 2021
- After calming down a bit in the second, the animosity returned, when Pavel Buchnevich cross-checked Anthony Mantha in the face:
- All of that nonsense, however, was overshadowed by T.J. Oshie and his emotional hat trick (and the outpouring of love and support from his teammates). [NBCSW]
- Before the game, Lars Eller talked about something what we already know - that the hockey world views Wilson through a very biased lens. [Caps video, USA Today,
- There’s also a deeper problem with the NHL’s disciplinary system that has nothing to do with Wilson. [Peerless]
- Is #43 making the NHL rethink their stance on fighting? (Note: this was written before last night’s fight-filled game so... ) [Reuters]
- It has been a crazy week for the Caps, with all kinds of behind-the-scenes drama (and the week’s not over yet!) [PHT]
- Of course, they weren’t alone there, with the Rangers firing GM Jeff Gorton and president John Davidson in a move that was definitely 100% not related to The Statement. Yup. [NHL]
- The Caps somehow fell in this week’s Super 16 rankings. [NHL]
- Scoping out some potential playoff opponents. [S&S, SCoC]
- Happy 71st birthday to Bob Gryp, and happy 24th to Jonas Siegenthaler.
- Finally... we love you, Oshbabe.