Your savory breakfast links:
- Need a refresher on the madness that was Monday night’s game? Look no further than Mike Vogel’s Postgame Notebook. [NHL]
- Preview information for tonight’s rematch against the Rangers from Vogs and Peerless, and don’t forget to check in with our SB Nation pals Blueshirt Banter for coverage from behind enemy lines.
- The NHL DoPS announced yesterday that Tom Wilson was fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for roughing Pavel Buchnevich on Monday night. Lots of people had lots of thoughts about it. [Rink, WaPo (and again), ESPN, (and again), Athletic (and again), AP, Sportsnet, PHT, NBCSW, NoVa Caps, RMNB, OTF]
- In response to the announcement of Wilson’s fine, the Rangers released their own statement on the ruling. Twitter was very casual about the whole thing. [Rangers, TSN, Sportsnet, NBCSW, BSB]
- Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman gave his thoughts on the Wilson situation in his latest 31 Thoughts. [Sportsnet]
- Media availability following the Caps’ optional practice in New York this morning featured Coach Laviolette and Brenden Dillon. Of note from Coach Lavi: Alex Ovechkin is unlikely for tonight’s rematch against the Rangers, and the Caps might be without both Evgeny Kuznetsov and Ilya Samsonov for another game as they continue to resolve discipline issues.
- Evgeny Kuznetsov, who missed Monday night’s game due to disciplinary reasons, was placed on the NHL’s COVID protocol list yesterday afternoon. [NoVa Caps, Athletic, NBCSW]
- Speaking of Kuznetsov, the Washington Capitals could try to trade the Russian center after this season, according to TSN insider Pierre LeBrun. [TSN, NoVa Caps]
Finally, the Rink Team would like to extend our deepest and most heartfelt condolences to T.J. Oshie and the rest of the Oshie family after the passing of Tim Oshie yesterday. Coach Osh will be greatly missed, and we are so sorry for your loss.