In one of the wildest games all season the Capitals downed the Rangers 6 to 3 at Madison Square Garden.
Here’s Monday night’s Plus/Minus:
Plus: Nic Dowd tallied his tenth goal of the season - the first time he has hit double digit goals in his NHL career.
Minus: Evgeny Kuznetsov and Ilya Samsonov were healthy scratched by Washington because of disciplinary reasons.
Twelve more notes on the game:
- Partially due to Kuznetsov and Samsonov’s situation the Capitals were forced to skate with a short bench (11F 6D).
- Alex Ovechkin made his return to the lineup but left the contest after skating only one shift (10F 6D).
- Nic Dowd got the scoring started 14 minutes in. Dowd looked off Carl Hagelin on an odd man rush and stashed the puck short side against an incorrectly committed Igor Shesterkin.
- Nylander seconds later Conor Sheary spun home his 13th of the season with a spin-o-rama that would make Michael blush.
- Before the end of the first frame Mika Zibanejad drew the Rangers within one with a rocket of a shot off the rush. Vitek Vanecek was unable to get his glove on the high rising shot that caught the far corner of the net.
- Early in the second period Zibanejad knotted the game at two, finishing off a fantastic passing sequence by New York’s power play for his second.
- Two minutes after that Kaapo Kakko finished off a pass from Alexis Lafreniere to give the Rangers their first lead.
- Midway through the game Tom Wilson served Pavel Buchnevich a gloved right fist before then dropping Artemi Panarin with a wrestling move. Wilson would be given two minor penalties and a ten minute misconduct for his actions.
- But after successfully killing the penalties Washington evened the score at three. Garnet Hathaway cleaned up a rebound in the slot that was created by another Dowd shot.
- Daniel Sprong then put the Capitals ahead again thanks to an inexcusable giveaway from Brendan Smith. Smith blindly soft served the puck into the slot and Sprong did not miss his chance from in tight.
- Nicklas Backstrom extended Washington’s lead to two with a nifty off-speed shot that eluded Shesterkin exactly as the Swede planned it.
- Wilson would net an empty net goal with 86 seconds to play to provide the margin of victory.