Your savory breakfast links:
- Recaps and other assorted musings from last night’s loss to the Bruins from us, Vogs, WaPo, NHL, AP, Reuters, Caps video (Coach Laviolette, Brenden Dillon, Nicklas Backstrom/John Carlson, recap, condensed game), Peerless, Boston Globe, NBCSW, NoVa Caps, RMNB, and Stanley Cup of Chowder.
- Previews and other info for tonight’s matchup against the Sabres from Vogs and the Caps, and don’t forget to check in with our SB Nation pals Die By the Blade for coverage from behind enemy lines.
- Last night was Pride Night at Capital One Arena, and the Caps and MSE are holding an auction that includes autographed Pride Tape-wrapped sticks, Capitals Pride pucks, and a rainbow flag. Proceeds will benefit SMYAL (Supporting and Mentoring Youth Advocates and Leaders), a DC-based nonprofit that supports and empowers LGBTQ+ youth. [NHL]
- After being placed on waivers on Tuesday, Richard Panik cleared waivers yesterday and was assigned to the Capitals’ taxi squad. [NoVa Caps, S+S]
- The Caps have had a rough April so far, so what changed after their killer March? [RMNB]
- Michal Kempny skated with the Caps’ taxi squad yesterday morning, six months after his Achilles tendon surgery. [NoVa Caps, NBCSW]
Very loud ovation, stick taps and yells for Michal Kempny, who stepped onto the ice after the Capitals’ morning skate. He is wearing a light blue non-contact jersey. Had surgery on his Achilles in Oct. 2020. pic.twitter.com/9op1c7aa6Z— Samantha Pell (@SamanthaJPell) April 8, 2021
- Another look at Washington’s defensive pairs this season, all of which are struggling. [S+S]
- The Capitals need more five-on-five offense, and soon. [NBCSW]
- In some former Washington Capitals news, Brett Connolly was part of a five-player trade yesterday that sent him to the Chicago Blackhawks. Good luck in Chicago, Conno! [ESPN]
Biggest concern I have with the Connolly trade is how the hell do you do *this* with deep dish? https://t.co/l6Vm2Jh2mC— Japers’ Rink (@JapersRink) April 8, 2021
- This week’s NHL power rankings from Sportsnet has a trade deadline flavor: who’s buying and who’s selling? [Sportsnet]
- The Caps cleared up some cap space by moving Panik to the taxi squad this week in presumed anticipation of the trade deadline, but what players should they not look into trading for? [S+S]
- Speaking of the trade deadline, NBCSW’s Alan May’s choice of deadline moves for the Caps might surprise you. [NBCSW]
- Happy 57th birthday to Rick Tocchet!