Your savory breakfast links:
- Our annual ranking of the best players in the division kicked off yesterday with the top 10 goalies in the East, er, MassMutual Division. [Rink]
- As the Capitals took the ice for the second day of training camp, the second group of skaters was joined by the newest Cap: Zdeno Chara. [Vogs via Caps365, NHL, NoVa Caps, RMNB, and media availability with Coach Laviolette, T.J. Oshie, Brenden Dillon, and Ilya Samsonov]
- With the offseason departure of Braden Holtby, the Caps are ready for Ilya Samsonov to step up and become an NHL starter. [WaPo ($)]
- Check out Dom Luszczyszyn’s Capitals season preview, including point and roster projections. [Athletic ($)]
- The AHL and ECHL are going to look a little different this shortened season because of opt-outs - here’s a summary of what both leagues will look like. [NoVa Caps]
- More discussion about the unknown that is the upcoming NHL season in the latest edition of Elliotte Friedman’s 31 Thoughts. [Sportsnet]
- Zdeno Chara is certainly one of the most intriguing NHL names to keep an eye on this season. [Athletic ($)]
- If you’re bothered by helmet sticker ads, then you won’t like this news: for the first time in history, the NHL sold naming rights to its four divisions. [ESPN]
- Happy 45th birthday to Richard Zednik, 66th birthday to Alex Forsyth, and 31st birthday to Nicolas Deschamps!
Finally, make sure you watch this video of Chara in a Caps uni for the first time. Pay special attention to him needing to duck through the doorway and the moment when he and Blaine Forsythe skate next to each other.