The big, bad Bruins are in town for the first of two - but the biggest, baddest former Bruin is now a Capital, ready to take on his former team for the first time.
Lest you think this one is all about Chara vs. the Bruins, however, it looks like both halves of last season’s goal-lead duo will make their return tonight, with Alex Ovechkin set to come back from COVID protocol and David Pastrnak making his season debut after offseason hip surgery.
...oh, and it’s also just the top two teams in the East Division going head to head. No biggie.
Capital One Arena, Washington, DC
Saturday, January 30, 7:00 PM ET
Broadcast Info: NBCSW, ESPN+; WJFK, Caps Radio 24/7
- Previews of tonight’s collision course between Zdeno Chara and his former team from Vogs, Peerless, NoVa Caps, AP, and be sure to check out our SB Nation pals over at Stanley Cup of Chowder for the other side of tonight’s matchup.
- Chara is still very close with his now former teammates - but that friendship takes a backseat to the game (and none of his friends wants to poke the bear). [The Score, AP, NBCSW, Boston Globe ($), NESN]
- So just how has Chara performed with his new team and very best friends in DC? [PHT]
- After undergoing offseason hip surgery and missing the first two weeks of the season, Bruins’ sniper David Pastrnak looks ready to make his debut. [MassLive, Boston Herald, Boston Globe ($), The Score, NESN]
- The Caps’ lineup is a little less concrete, as the four players in quarantine are now considered day-to-day pending negative COVID tests (and Laviolette’s mood). [NBCSW]
- Also day-to-day? Justin Schultz, who took a slapshot off the face toward the end of Thursday’s game. [NBCSW]
Have at it, babes!