Your savory breakfast links:
- Catch up on coverage from last night’s season opener victory against the Sabres with recaps and video: Rink, WaPo ($), Vogs, NHL, TSN, NBCSW (and again), Die by the Blade, NoVa Caps, RMNB, and Capitals video (Lavi, Carlson and Dillon, Oshie and Vrana, condensed game, recap).
- Previews of tonight’s rematch against Buffalo from Vogs and the Caps, and don’t forget to stick with our SB Nation friends Die by the Blade for coverage from behind enemy lines!
- The Rink crew weighed in on what this season might bring for the Capitals and made some bold predictions. [Rink]
- The Capitals made several moves during the offseason and it can be hard to keep track of them all, so a cheat sheet might help. [Rink]
- Speaking of offseason recaps, catch up on anything else you may have missed here. [WaPo ($)]
- Coach Lavi made a point to credit the players for his first win behind the Capitals’ bench. [NBCSW]
- Ilya Samsonov is more than ready to prove he belongs in the spotlight this season. [WaPo ($)]
- The Caps officially announced the Craig Anderson signing yesterday. [Caps]
- Alex Ovechkin has been smashing expectations left and right since he made his NHL debut, but he still has plenty left to give. [WaPo ($)]
- Special teams can make or break a season, so how good can the Caps’ special teams be this year? [S+S]
- The Smithsonian National Zoo shared a video of their newest giant panda cub Xiao Qi Ji, which translates as “little miracle” in English, playing with a giant hockey puck to wish the Capitals good luck this season. [NHL]
- The 2021 NHL rookie class is exciting, but which of the young stars have the best Calder Trophy potential? [ESPN+ ($)]
- Happy 68th birthday to Randy Holt!
Finally, we have a new postgame locker room tradition, courtesy of Coach Lavi: