Your savory breakfast links:
- What are each NHL team’s best lines in the last 30 years? ESPN’s Greg Wyshynski takes a look (and no, the Capitals answers won’t surprise you). [ESPN]
- In this week’s installment of 31 Thoughts, Elliotte Friedman dives into what NHL broadcasts might look like if/when the season resumes and other news from around the league and sports world. [Sportsnet]
- No one knows exactly when the 2020 NHL Draft is happening, but that doesn’t put the scouting process on pause. The Capitals will have some solid options at the end of the first round, so let’s look at some of the likely candidates. [THW]
- Speaking of Capitals prospects, check out Hershey defenseman Bobby Nardella’s season review over at NoVa Caps.
- WTOP’s Dave Johnson hopped on a Zoom call with former Capitals star Calle Johansson to discuss how he stays up to date on Washington hockey. [WTOP]
- Need a new podcast to listen to during quarantine? How about Nic Dowd and Garnet Hathaway’s stellar Between Two Blue Lines series? This review will surely convince you! [FOS]
- Tom Wilson fans, rejoice! NBC Sports Washington is airing four of Wilson’s best games with the Caps this Sunday beginning at 9am EST. If you miss hockey, you won’t want to miss this! [NBCSW]
- With all of the renewed media buzz around Michael Jordan because of the release of ESPN’s “The Last Dance” docu-series, let’s not forget that he was once a minority owner of the Washington Capitals. [ESPN, Puck Prose]
- Former Washington defenseman Christian Djoos, who was traded to Anaheim at this season’s deadline, has signed a one-year, $1mil contract extension with the Ducks. Congrats, Djoos! [Anaheim Calling]
- If you’re here, you’re a Capitals fan. That means you should help out The Athletic’s Tarik El-Bashir and fill out their Washington Capitals fan survey! [The Athletic]
- The big hockey news of the week, of course: screenshots of lewd, misogynistic, and inappropriate messages from a group chat Brendan Leipsic was part of were leaked on Wednesday. Here’s a round-up of all of the coverage so far, including the NHL’s statement on the matter:
- Brendan Leipsic released an apology statement a few hours after the messages were released, but his sincerity is already coming into question; the Post’s Barry Svrluga took a stab at unpacking it. [WaPo]
- On a lighter note, check out our weekly puzzle series if you haven’t already! (Crossword, Word Search, Word Scramble, Spot the Difference 1, and Spot the Difference 2)
- Finally, happy belated birthday to Jonas Siegenthaler, who turned 23 on Wednesday, and happy 31st birthday to Lars Eller! Everyone is legally required to blast “Eye of the Tiger” today in his honor.
In need of some entertainment today? Then please watch Evgeny Kuznetsov take on the Florida Panthers’ Jonathan Huberdeau in the Caps’ first foray into the NHL Player Gaming Challenge: