Your savory breakfast links:
- The biggest hockey news of the day was Henrik Lundqvist announcing that due to a heart condition he will not be joining the Capitals this season. [Rink, NHL, WaPo ($), Vogs, ESPN, THW, Athletic ($), BSB, NBCSW, NoVa Caps, RMNB, S+S]
- With Lundqvist not taking the ice for Washington this season, what options do the Caps have to fill their backup netminder role? [Rink, NoVa Caps, THW]
- What does Lundqvist’s announcement mean for Ilya Samsonov? [NBCSW]
- While the Samsonov v. Lundqvist portion of this mailbag is now moot, the Post’s Samantha Pell addresses several other important questions like the Caps’ struggling power play and production predictions. [WaPo ($)]
- The latest obstacle in the NHL’s return-to-play process? Where to play. [NBCSW]
- Speaking of, Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reported yesterday that if agreements cannot be reached between the NHL and Canadian health authorities, all 31 NHL teams playing in the United States is the “likely outcome”. Hockey Night in Canada…in the US? [Sportsnet, TSN]
- An excellent piece from Alison Lukan on analytics, intangibles, and why they both matter. [1st Ohio Battery]
- According to Sports Business Journal, the NHL’s Board of Governors are likely to approve helmet sticker ads for this season. [SBJ]
- There are plenty of questions regarding the upcoming NHL season, but here are answers to a few of them. [Sportsnet]
- Happy 48th birthday to Jeff Nelson, happy 75th birthday to Jean Pronovost, and happy 69th birthday to Bernie Wolfe!
Finally, some fun former Cap news to put a smile on your face: Nate Schmidt proposed to his longtime girlfriend Allie Reinke yesterday, and she said yes! Congratulations, Nate and Allie!