Your savory breakfast links:
- So what’s up with Evgeny Kuznetsov? [Rink]
- Hear from and about Brooks Orpik on the subject of... Brooks Orpik. [Rink]
- Recaps and other assorted musings on last night’s win (!!!!!) from us, Vogs, Caps video (Reirden, locker room, recap), NHL, AP, WaPo, NBCSW (and again), Calgary Sun, Frankovic, Peerless, NoVa Caps, FiCP, RMNB, Flames, Flamesnation, and Matchsticks & Gasoline.
- The Caps’ first win since January 10 wasn’t without one loss, as Lars Eller left the game with a mysterious lower-body injury:
Reirden didn’t have much of an update on Eller. Asked if it could be a long-term injury, Reirden said he doesn’t *think* so and is hopeful they “caught it” early, but he didn’t want to say too much without talking more with the trainers.— Isabelle Khurshudyan (@ikhurshudyan) February 2, 2019
- Caps’ games without Alex Ovechkin don’t happen very often, so the Caps knew they’d have to make adjustments. [WaPo, NoVa Caps]
- A little over halfway through his first year behind the bench, Todd Reirden is a work in progress. [ESPN]
- Handing out some midseason grades to the Caps’ special teams. [NBCSW]
- Evaluating the Caps’ last decade of draft picks. [NoVa Caps]
- Willie O’Ree (rightfully) gets a lot of attention as the first black player in the NHL; it took 16 years later for Mike Marson to become the second (and the first one drafted). [NHL]
- Money originally set aside for renovations to DC’s only public ice rink, the venerable Fort Dupont, is being diverted by Mayor Bowser - and a lot of people aren’t happy about it. [DCist]
- Finally, happy 42nd birthday to Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre and happy 59th to Lee Norwood.