Your savory breakfast links:
- Recaps and other assorted musings on last night’s win from us, Vogs, Caps video (Reirden, locker room, recap), CBJ, NHL, AP, WaPo, NBCSW (and again), NoVa Caps, RMNB, and the Cannon.
- The question facing the Caps before the game was simple: Could they finally beat a Columbus team that has given them fits over the past two seasons? [NBCSW, StarsandSticks]
- After the win, Alex Ovechkin announced that he would once again sit out the upcoming All-Star game. [NHL, AP, WaPo, NBCSW, Yahoo, Sporting News]
- A look at the people who will matter the most in the year ahead. [ESPN]
- News and notes from yesterday’s pregame skate. [Caps, video (Reirden), NoVa Caps]
- The Caps returned from the holiday break rested but knowing that there are tough tests ahead if they want to keep their spot atop the standings. [WaPo]
- With Radko Gudas and Michal Kempny ailing, the Caps recalled defenseman Christian Djoos to fill at least one of the spots on the blueline. [Caps]
- Previews of tonight’s rally in Raleigh from Vogs, NBCSW, and FLM, and be sure to check out our SB Nation pals over at Canes Country for the other side of tonight’s matchup.
- Finally, happy 43rd birthday to Benoit Gratton, happy 37th to Curtis Glencross, and happy 63rd to Doug Patey.