Washington and Columbus skated to a one goal tie through sixty minutes of play before T.J. Oshie ended it in Washington’s favor with an overtime power play tally.
Here’s Friday night’s Plus/Minus:
Plus: Ilya Samsonov played very well in his 12th start this season, ending the evening with 27 saves (.964 SP).
Minus: Evgeny Kuznetsov and Tom Wilson went down with leg injuries late in the third period. Both players would return to the game but not before getting assisted off the ice.
Eight more notes on the game:
- Highlights of a scoreless first period included Wilson dropping Alexander Wennberg in the slot and Oshie on all fours to block a sure goal off the stick of Gabriel Carlsson.
- Halfway into the second period Jakob Lilja netted his first career NHL goal off of a nice pass from Riley Nash.
- With a minute to play in the second frame Wilson finished a heavy hit on Lilja below the goal line. Before the second intermission could arrive tensions boiled over and Jonas Siegenthaler and Nick Foligno danced to Samsonov’s right.
- Seven minutes into the third period and 108 minutes into Joonas Korpisalo’s Washington shutout streak Carl Hagelin evened the score with his first goal of the season.
- With a man advantage in overtime T.J. Oshoe banged home a Nicklas Backstrom rebound for the game winning goal.
- Both Radko Gudas and Michal Kempny fell ill this morning and were sent home from the team’s morning skate. While Gudas would end up dressing in the game Kempny did not.
- Christian Djoos was recalled from Hershey to fill in for Kempny. Tonight’s contest was Djoos’ first for Washington this season.
- The list of Columbus skaters who missed the game on IR is significant: Oliver Bjorkstrand, Josh Anderson, Cam Atkinson, Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan Murray, Markus Nutivaara, Andrew Peeke, and Emil Bemstrom.