In Lars Eller’s 700th career NHL game with Capitals put on an offensive clinic early and often to down the Buffalo Sabres 6 to 1 in Washington.
Here’s Friday night’s Plus/Minus:
Plus: The Capitals put four pucks behind Linus Ullmark less than eleven minutes into the first period.
Minus: Carl Hagelin skated fourteen minutes and registered zeros across the board (including shots).
Seven more notes on the game.
- Jakub Vrana got the scoring started early with his fifth of the season six minutes into the contest. An impressive backhand pass from Tom Wilson put Vrana on a breakaway that he finished by sliding his shot under Ullmark.
- 42 seconds later Chandler Stephenson extended Washington’s lead to two. Stephenson finished off a four against one with a pretty backhand shot that Ullmark had no chance against.
- Vrana added another goal before the game was ten minutes old, slamming home a cross ice feed from Michal Kempny.
- And 75 seconds after that Brendan Leipsic netted his first with the Capitals. Patience with the puck from Travis Boyd down the wing allowed Leipsic to snap home his quick shot.
- Buffalo get on the scoreboard in the second period with a goal from Henri Jokiharju. His shot from the blue line deflected off of Jonas Siegenthaler and over Braden Holtby.
- Wilson would then put Washington ahead by four before the second intermission by deflecting a Kempny shot over Ullmark’s shoulder.
- T.J. Oshie provided the final goal of the night. Kempny’s third assist of the night allowed Oshie to tap the puck into the net to provide the margin of victory.