Your savory breakfast of champions links:
- One hundred days of Stanley, boys and girls and babes. [NoVa Caps]
- After a slight detour to Novosibirsk, a helicopter ride (and an unfortunate six-hour delay), the Stanley Cup arrived in Novokuznetsk for Dmitry Orlov and his Day. [NHL, NoVa Caps, RMNB,
- It is not every day when one reads the headline, “The Stanley Cup is lost in Siberia.” [Sport24, sibnovosti.ru]
- And it is definitely not every day when...
If you still haven’t accepted that the Washington Capitals have set a new standard for championship celebrations, here’s Dmitry Orlov in Russia with the Stanley Cup and a bunch of flame throwers pic.twitter.com/WBr36JbgXA— Josh Billinson (@jbillinson) August 17, 2018
- From early June, here is a nice interview with Dima on lots of subjects, but mostly Russians and winning. [Sport24.ru]
- Nicklas Backstrom played host to the annual “Icebreakers” charity hockey match. Peter Forsberg and a goodly portion of Swedish NHL’ers (including Christian Djoos and Andre Burakovsky) came to NickBack Arena to suit up for a friendly against Backstrom’s hometown Valbo squad... [sverigesradio.se]
- ... and a “cheeky” Backstrom swapped into a Valbo sweater, after which his Icebreaker foe Burakovsky attempted to lay a body check. This went as well as could be expected. [RMNB]
- Crystal ballin’ the first-season-in-North-America for Ilya Samsonov. [NBCSW]
- Alex Ovechkin’s October fireworks presaged the Caps’ championship run... [THW]
- ... and his post-championship celebrations got the Peter Bondra seal of approval. [RMNB]
- This Devante Smith-Pelly bobblehead is unreal. [Caps Outsider]
- Finally, happy 56th birthday to Geoff Courtnall, and happy 67th to Bruce Cowick.