Your savory breakfast of champions links:
- Recaps and other assorted musings on last night’s clincher from us, NHL, PHT, TSN, THN, AP, USA Today, WaPo, NBCSW (and again), Peerless, Frankovic, NoVa Caps, RMNB, LVRJ, and Knights on Ice.
- Congrats to playoffs MVP and Conn Smythe Trophy recipient, Alex Ovechkin. [NHL, TSN, RMNB, PHT]
"this is not the stanley cup, take it" pic.twitter.com/5twGNquYNW— Cristiano Simonetta (@CMS_74_) June 8, 2018
- Handshake Line! [Streamable]
The handshake line. Still the best tradition in sports. pic.twitter.com/vkXY1E9Xbg— Kevin Bolinger (@KevinFOX5Vegas) June 8, 2018
- Photos and videos of the trophy ceremony and on-ice celly. [NBC Sports (full trophy ceremony), WaPo Design, PHT, Fox Sports, NBCSW]
- Bettman-to-Ovechkin-to-Backstrom. Aw, yeah. [NHL]
"F**king rights." Nicklas Backstrom takes the Stanley Cup from Alexander Ovechkin and they go for a skate. pic.twitter.com/Qp8G74QDbC— Brady Trettenero (@BradyTrett) June 8, 2018
- Then there was the (players’) off-ice celly. [NHL, NoVa Caps, SiriusXM]
- But honestly, it was DC’s night to shine. Here’s a few links to the watch parties and street celebrations, but honestly can’t capture the scale of the thing here. [WaPo (and again and again), Caps Outsider (and again), NHL, and the entirety of Dan Steinberg’s timeline.
- Lord Stanley, from a fan’s perspective. [NBCSW]
- After a decade of disappointment, the Caps made it over the final hurdle. [Sportsnet]
- A team that always found a way. [CBC]
- Alex Ovechkin’s legacy is secure, at long last. Not that it ever wasn’t secure, but... y’know. [ESPN, The Athletic, WaPo, NBCSW, @PostSports]
Alex Ovechkin 2017-18 Season— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) June 8, 2018
- Led NHL in regular season goals (49)
- Led NHL in postseason goals (15)
- Won Stanley Cup
The last player to do all 3 in the same season was Mike Bossy in 1980-81 (per @EliasSports) pic.twitter.com/gSqbVCopp4
- There’s more than one kind of legacy, and Mr. and Mrs. Ovechkin are working on the other one as we learned they are expecting their first child. [RMNB]
- “In this game, it hit me that this was real and I had a chance to win the Stanley Cup. Before that, it felt like we were playing in the fourth round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.” Chandler Stephenson still can’t even. But he’s taking the Cup to Humboldt. [NHL]
- Happy 39th birthday to Quintin Laing and Bryan Muir turns 45 today.
- On a personal note, I wasn’t sure what to expect on this day in 2009 when I logged on to Japers’ Rink for the very first time. As it turns out, I could expect great joy, and great pain, and great people with whom to write about, think about, and drink about Capitals hockey. But there was no way to know that exactly nine years from that date I would be blogging a championship. Cheers, friends!