89.1 - Percentage of the Capitals’ total minutes in the 2018 playoffs that were skated by players who will be returning to defend their title in 2018-19* (7,904 of 8,875).
As of now, the Caps will be bringing back the players who...
- Scored 95.3% of their goals from the playoffs;
- Tallied 93.2% of their points from the playoffs;
- Registered 100.0% of their power-play points from the playoffs;
- Took 94.0% of their shots on goal in the playoffs;
- Notched 87.5% of their game-winning goals in the playoffs; and
- Made up their top-nine (and 11 of their top 12, with Jay Beagle unsigned) forwards, top-four (and five of their top six after trading Brooks Orpik) defensemen and number-one goalie in the playoffs (after Game 2).
Funny that the Caps had a “Cup hangover,” roster-wise, after last season, go win the Cup, and return nearly the whole dang squad. Or, as they say...— Japers' Rink (@JapersRink) June 29, 2018
* This assumes that Restricted Free Agents Tom Wilson and Travis Boyd will re-sign with the team, and that pending Unrestricted Free Agents Beagle, Alex Chiasson and Jakub Jerabek will not... which is far from a given, so that “89.1” number could still be on the rise. Heck, there’s even a chance Orpik could return.