Your savory breakfast links:
- The Columbus Blue Jackets sat everyone for their final game against the Preds, and the ensuing loss gave them the 1st Eastern Wild Card berth and a dance card with the Metro champion Washington Capitals:
- Recaps and other assorted musings on last night’s win from us, Vogs, (plus game notes), NHL (with highlights), AP, WaPo, NBCSWA, (and again), Frankovic, NoVa Caps, RMNB, and NJ.com.
- Alex Ovechkin ‘s 2-goal night locked down his seventh (!) Rocket Richard trophy but left him one goal shy of 50 on the year. But golly did he put on a show in his quest for a hat trick. Legend. [SI, Sporting News, theScore, RMNB, NoVa Caps]
Alex Ovechkin nearly managed a hat trick to reach the 50-goal mark Saturday, but settled for 49 & will yet again lead the NHL for one season. That ties him for 1st here pic.twitter.com/kNB5d99DZa— StatsCentre (@StatsCentre) April 8, 2018
- As the Gr8 was tying the bow on his 1,122nd NHL point, Shane Gersich scored his first with an assist on Michal Kempny’s goal. [RMNB]
- What’s the protocol when you get a game-worn jersey right off a player’s sweaty back? Do you wash it or nah? [Caps Outsider]
- The tragic bus crash in Humboldt, Saskatchewan resonated throughout hockeydom all day Saturday. The Caps who put in the time on those junior-hockey bus rides reflect... [WaPo]
- ... and the GoFundMe campaign for the victims and their families is here, and an Oilers blog has a nice looking shirt here, with the proceeds to be sent to Humboldt as well.