Your savory breakfast links:
- Previews of tonight’s Metro throwdown with the Hurricanes from Vogs, Peerless, STATS, and be sure to check out our SB Nation partners over at Canes Country for the other side of tonight’s matchup.
- A few leftovers from Wednesday’s OT win over New York. [Caps, BSB, Blueline Station]
- That was quite the NHL debut for prospect Shane Gersich, who was impressive against the Rangers. [WaPo, NBCSW, NoVa Caps, UND Hockey, Grand Forks Herald]
- Yeah, there’s still no resolution to this whole goalie situation. Thanks for being awesome again, Braden, geeeez. [NBCSW]
- Yes, the Capitals are officially going to the playoffs... but it’s thanks to the Penguins, and is there really any joy in that? (Spoiler: no.) [WaPo, The Score, NoVa Caps, Caps Outsider, RMNB]
- For the first time in a long time, the Caps are flying under the radar heading into the playoffs. They’re okay with that. [WaPo]
- So under-the-radar that entire articles are written about how “awful” they are. Yawn. [Sportsnet]
- But the Caps are done with this whole regular-season success only thing. Ditto. [NHL]
- T.J. Oshie has picked the perfect time to shake himself out of that slump he’d been stuck in. [THW]
- The owner spoke to the media about Alex Ovechkin’s upcoming 1000th game (!!!) and a number of other topics... [Caps video, NBCSW]
- ...except for the contract situation with Barry Trotz. Hmm. [WaPo, RMNB]
- Can you believe it’s been almost 1000 games since a ball of energy in a #8 jersey made his NHL debut? [Caps video, WashTimes]
- Happy birthday, young Thomas Wilson - now enjoy a face full of frosting, courtesy of the captain!
WATCH: #ALLCAPS Caps celebrate RW Tom Wilson's 24th Birthday today with a cake on the ice. Watch what Ovie does next, and LISTEN to Trotz weigh in on Wilson's contributions to the team this year. @ABC7Sports @abc7 @tom_wilso pic.twitter.com/dUBH8Cn3lq— Kendall Griggs (@KgriggsPhoto) March 29, 2018
- Congratulations to Caps legend Peter Bondra, who is headed to the DC Sports Hall of Fame. [NBCSW, NoVa Caps]
- Happy 65th birthday to Dennis Ververgaert, happy 47th to Jamie Heward and pour one out for Doug Wickenheiser, who would have been 57 today.
- Finally, not Caps-related but congrats to Scott Foster, 36-year-old beer league goalie-turned-NHLer (for a night, at least). Sports are so cool sometimes. [TSN, Chicago Sun-Times, PHT]