Your savory breakfast links:
- Recaps and other assorted musings on last night’s shootout victory from us, Vogs, Caps video (Reirden, locker room, recap), NHL, AP, WaPo, NBCSW, Frankovic, NoVa Caps (and again), RMNB, FiCP, Raleigh News & Observer (and again), and Canes Country.
- Alex Ovechkin: so damn hot right now. [Yahoo! Canada]
- Oh, and he just continues to make history with his back-to-back hat tricks:
Alex Ovechkin became the 14th player in NHL history to record a hat trick in consecutive games on multiple occasions in his career and the first to do so since Alex Kovalev (Feb. 7 & 10 and Nov. 13 & 14, 2001). #NHLStats #WSHvsCAR pic.twitter.com/1tjAtj59ar— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) December 15, 2018
Ovechkin is the 18th different player in the modern era (since 1943-44) to score 28+ goals in his team's first 31 games, and third to do so since 1993-94.— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) December 15, 2018
Jaromir Jagr: 1995-96 (28 G in 31 GP) & 1996-97 (30 G in 31 GP)
Mario Lemieux: 1995-96 (29 G in 27 GP)#NHLStats pic.twitter.com/7hUI6v4PW2
- News and notes from yesterday’s pregame skate, including the bad news that Christian Djoos is out indefinitely after having surgery. [Dump ‘n Chase, Caps video (Reirden, Wilson, Rinkside Update/Bowey), WaPo, NBCSW, RMNB, Caps Outsider, NoVa Caps]
- In better news, Tom Wilson was preparing to return after missing three games with a concussion. [Rink, Caps, RMNB]
- Set to become an RFA at the end of the season, Andre Burakovsky is still looking for some consistency to his game. [NBCSW]
- Previews of tonight’s duel with the Sabres from Stats/TSX, Buffalo News (and again), WGR550, and be sure to check out our SB Nation pals over at Die by the Blade for the other side of tonight’s matchup.
- Making the case for and against a potential Caps’ repeat. [ESPN+]
- What might some of today’s NHL stars select as their individual goal songs? [ESPN]