Your savory breakfast of champions links:
- If you strike him down, he will return stronger than you could ever imagine. T.J. Oshie took the worst the Penguins could throw at him and came back to end the game in triumph. [Rink]
- Previews of tonight’s Round One rematch from Vogs (plus game notes), Peerless, and NBCSW, and be sure to check out our SB Nation pals over at The Cannon for the other side of the series.
- Tonight’s game is the Capitals’ official Hockey Fights Cancer night, with specialty warmup jerseys, sticks and pucks available at auction. The Caps will welcome a special guest for the ceremonial puck drop - Linda Laughlin, wife of broadcaster Craig Laughlin. This past April she joined her own battle with a rare cancer, uterine serous carcinoma. She is sharing her story to raise awareness of these lesser-known cancers, the ones that have less research and funding. [NHL]
Linda Laughlin joins @Laughlin18 & @CourtneyL_Caps for an emotional Family Faceoff - opening up about her battle with cancer & the impact it’s had on their family.#HockeyFightsCancer #ALLCAPS— MonumentalSportsNet (@MonSportsNet) November 8, 2018
Full episode: https://t.co/KxUX5U56WS pic.twitter.com/0TtH4SFSO4
- What does it take to play on the top line with Alex Ovechkin and Evgeny Kuznetsov? Size, skill, and the ability to speak Russian certainly help... [WaPo, NBCSW]
- ... along with a certain amount of defensive ability. [RMNB]
- A few leftovers from #CapsPens:
- Evgeni Malkin will not face any supplemental discipline for the shoulder he drove into Oshie’s noggin. [ESPN]
- Welcome back, vintage Braden Holtby! [NBCSW]
- Statpack. [RMNB, NoVa Caps]
- In which Ken Sabourin calls it, and then John Walton calls it.
- Some Hershey nuggets:
- Breaking down the start to Ilya Samsonov’s first season in North America. [NBCSW]
- The Hersey Bears and their illustrious history will be featured with a gala and film premiere at Hersheypark Arena on December 7. [Hershey History]
B'ars to Bears: Hershey's Hockey Dynasty— Hershey History (@hersheyhistory) November 1, 2018
Film Premier in Hershey, PA: Friday Night, Dec. 7th pic.twitter.com/L4xrsRVTp8
- Finally, happy 24th birthday to Zach Sanford.
- One more - The Capitals had previously announced that their half of the usual 50/50 raffle at this Penguins game would be donated to charities supporting the victims and families of the shooting at The Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh. Then something extraordinary happened. Don’t miss this interview with the family with the biggest heart in Washington. [NoVa Caps]
Amazing Story: Last night’s 50/50 raffle winner, a #Caps Season Ticket Member, chose to waive their prize so @MSEFndn could donate the total $38,570 jackpot raised to @JewishFedPGH to benefit victims and families of the Tree of Life Synagogue in Squirrel Hill. #StrongerThanHate https://t.co/OhVSLqOvTT— Washington Capitals (@Capitals) November 8, 2018