Your savory breakfast of champions links:
- Braden Holtby has been sitting out the last couple of games with injury, but a look at his early-season numbers show he’s been playing just fine. [Rink]
- Recaps and other assorted musings on last night’s overtime victory from us, Vogs, Walton’s Call, NHL, AP, WaPo, NBCSW (gamer, five reasons), Frankovic, NoVa Caps, RMNB, Denver Post and Mile High Hockey.
Backy's @EASportsNHL OTGWG a instant CLASSIC! #ALLCAPS #CapsAvs pic.twitter.com/yuY0KaaXyb— Washington Capitals (@Capitals) November 17, 2018
- Tom Wilson played a career-high 24:24 and did all the little things that were needed to give his teammates the time and space to secure the victory. [NBCSW]
- The Caps were a man up and on the powerplay for Nick Backstrom’s overtime gamewinner, but they had to do it missing three of their best players. Evgeny Kuznetsov, T.J. Oshie and Braden Holtby were injury scratches, each of them listed as day-to-day with upper body injuries. [NBCSW (and again), RMNB, WaPo]
- With Holtby still injured and unavailable even as a backup, Ilya Samsonov was recalled from Hershey to don the ballcap and sit on the bench for the first time as a Washington Capital. [NoVa Caps, RMNB]
Don't look now, but Pheonix Copley has won four of his last five decisions, three of them on the road.— ThePeerless (@ThePeerless) November 17, 2018
- Flying under the radar this season - Brett Connolly. [NoVa Caps]
- Finally, happy 69th birthday to Gord Smith and happy 62nd birthday to Dennis Maruk.