Your savory breakfast links:
- Congratulations to Chris Bourque, who was formally named to Team USA’s roster for the 2018 Winter Olympics. He will wear #17 for the red, white and blue. [USA Hockey, NBC Sports, Hershey Bears, Chocolate Hockey, Fox43, Caps Outsider, NoVa Caps]
Hershey's @cbourque17 is headed to the #WinterOlympics! He was on his way to lunch when he got a call he'll never forget. #TeamUSA pic.twitter.com/7VR4Jug6et— Hershey Bears (@TheHersheyBears) January 1, 2018
- If you’re wanting to order a CB17 Team USA sweater of your very own. [Chocolate Hockey]
- A look ahead to the Caps’ January schedule. It has a lot of odd in it, including a four-in-six, several long layoffs and three helpings of the Hurricanes. [NoVa Caps]
- Previews of tonight’s clash with the ‘Canes from Vogs, (plus game notes), NHL.com, Peerless and NoVaCaps, and be sure to check out our SB Nation partners over at Canes Country for the other side of tonight’s matchup.
- Matt Niskanen has missed two practices and is listed as day-to-day with an upper body injury. He is unlikely to play tonight. [NBCSW, NoVa Caps, WaPo]
- How Devante Smith-Pelly went from healthy scratch to the top line. [NBCSW]
- Christian Djoos is winning over his coaches and his teammates with his... patience. [WaPo]
- “[F]or me I’m going to do the same thing, learn a little bit of a lesson here from being healthy scratch. I want to be out there, help the team compete and help them win. It’s obviously coach’s decision, I’m just going to learn from my mistakes here and come back and play like I’m supposed to.” Andre Burakovsky is working through whatever one is supposed to work through when one is assigned press box duties. And it’s not entirely clear that he will play tonight, either. [THW]
- Appreciation for the Caps’ goaltender development. [GNGH]
- Finally, happy 49th birthday to Rick Tabaracci.