Your savory breakfast links:
- The battle is joined: The Caps' quest for the Cup starts in the Verizon Center on Thursday night at 7:00 Eastern versus the Toronto Maple Leafs. More details below.
- Recaps and other assorted musings from us, Vogs (plus game notes), Monumental video (Trotz, locker room), NHL.com, AP, WaPo, CSNMA, Peerless, NoVa Caps, RMNB, FiCP, and Litterbox Cats.
- Garrett Mitchell finally made his NHL debut, and it was magical... [Chocolate Hockey]
- ... from his callup... [NoVa Caps, @TheHersheyBears (video), Monumental (video), CSNMA (video)]
- ... to his rookie lap and opening faceoff... [RMNB (and again)]
- ... to the “Jerseys Off Our Backs” postgame celly. [Chocolate Hockey, FiCP (photos)]
- Many jerseys were indeed removed from many backs and awarded to many fans. [Caps Outsider (photos), CSNMA (video)]
- Congrats to the sturdy goaltending tandem and stout team defense that helped the Caps clinch the William M. Jennings Trophy, awarded to the team that allows the fewest goals in a season. [Stars and Sticks]
- Congrats also to Alex Ovechkin, who now has completed his twelfth season of leading his team in goals
- This is good, probably, right?
History of PDO— Sean Tierney (@ChartingHockey) April 10, 2017
Only one team has finished a season with a PDO higher than WSH's. It was 2009-10 WSH.
COL almost nabbed lowest PDO ever. pic.twitter.com/bRN950XvWt
- The final horn for Game 82 heralded the beginning of the second season and sh*t just got real:
- The League announced the first round schedule. #CapsLeafs play in DC on Thursday and Saturday. [Rink, CSNMA]
- #CapsLeafs by the numbers. [Rink]
- Caps say: Oh hai there Toronto. Bring. It. On. [CSNMA]
- T.O. sez: Oh hai there Caps. We. Will. [Pension Plan Puppets] , The Athletic ($), Sportsnet, The Star (and again)]
- These two teams have never faced one another in the postseason. [CBS DC]
- Twelve Caps thoughts heading into the postseason. [Frankovic]
- Not certain the Leafs’ ability to grow playoff beards is really a question. [theScore]
- “We’ve said it before, but we’ll say it again: This could finally be the Washington Capitals’ year.” [Sportsnet]
- "We're going to find out what playoff hockey is in a hurry," Babcock said Sunday. "I'll do my best the next couple days to explain what's going to happen. They're not going to believe me." [theScore]
- “When it comes to the Maple Leafs versus Capitals, it’s really The Kids vs. The Stanley Cup Favorites.” [PHT]
- Caps in 5. [ESPN]
- Stick around the Rink as we'll have playoff preview content rolling right up to puck drop.
- Happy 47th birthday to Enrico Ciccone.
- Finally, the Japers' Rink staff would like to extend our thanks and appreciation to all the folks we regularly (and irregularly!) link here. It has been our great privilege to experience the 2016-2017 season through your words, photos and videos, and we look forward to sharing the second season and beyond.