Your savory breakfast links:
- Previews of tonight's clash with the Coyotes from Vogs (plus game notes), NHL.com, AP, NoVa Caps and Peerless, and be sure to visit our SB Nation pals over at Five for Howling for the other side of tonight's matchup.
- Playoff urgency - it’s a thing. Jill Sorensen chats with members of the team. [CSNMA (video)]
- But enjoy the journey - it’s a special time in the Nation’s Capital with the Caps and Wiz contending. [WaPo]
- Oh hai there Kevin Shattenkirk, with the most points and best points-per-game average of all the players moved at the deadline. [TSN]
- And ‘sup T.J. Oshie, quickly making yourself unaffordable to pretty much everyone. But about that freakishly high shooting percentage... [My NHL Trade Rumors]
- Two players always willing to lend a hand. Or an apple. [NoVa Caps]
- Alex Ovechkin’s 4-point night in Minnesota did some damage to the record books. His first goal (#556) moved him into a tie for 26th overall with Johnny Bucyk and his second goal gave him 26th place all to himself. His third power-play goal (#212) moved him ahead of Keith Tkachuk for 13th place on the ppg list. His assist on Oshie’s first goal gave him a tie with Alexei Kovalev for 3rd overall on the Russian NHLers scoring list - and the three goals that followed leapfrogged him past Alexander Mogilny into second place with 1,032 NHL points. Sergei Fedorov stands alone at the top of the list with 1,179.
- So he was probably in a good mood the next day when this happened:
Flawless bunny ear execution by Ovechkin. His game is in a good place heading into the postseason. pic.twitter.com/XIF7TQTRp3— Craig Custance (@CraigCustance) March 30, 2017
- “The bar has been set,” defenseman Nate Schmidt said. “And the bar is, what is Holts wearing today?” [WaPo]
- A man (and a moji) for all seasons. [RMNB]
- NBC sent the Stanley Cup around on sort of a goodwill tour around the city, but didn’t tell anybody about it. Some lucky few folks got a chance to see it. [WaPo, RMNB]
- The Caps announced they have signed their 2016 3rd round pick, forward Garrett Pilon, to a three-year entry level contract. He will join the Hershey Bears at the end of his season with the WHL Kamloops Blazers. [Caps Today, CSNMA, NoVa Caps, KamloopsBCnow]
- While we’re at it - Prospect Watch! [Caps Outsider, CSNMA]
- Ilya Samsonov will be minding the bench door for a second straight Gagarin Cup Final as Metallurg Magnitogorsk defeated Ak Bars Kazan four games to none to advance to face superteam SKA St. Petersburg.
- Congrats to Liam O’Brien, named as Hershey’s “Man of the Year”. That giant teddy bear put him right over the top. [NoVa Caps, Caps Outsider, Chocolate Hockey]
- Finally, happy 64th birthday to Gord Lane, and happy 57th to Jim McTaggart.