Your savory breakfast links:
- The news of the day was the decision handed down by the NHL Department of Player Safety - Kevin Shattenkirk was suspended for two games for charging the Kings’ defenseman Kevin Gravel. KS22 served the first game vs. the Ducks; he will also sit out Tuesday’s game vs. the Wild. [NHL.com, Puck Daddy, CSNMA, WaPo]
- The Week That Was, Volume 22. [Peerless, AAtJ, Pensburgh]
- Recaps and other assorted musings on last night's first-4th-in-a-row-in-forever loss from us, Vogs, Monumental video (Trotz, Caps locker room), NHL.com, AP, WaPo, CSNMA (gamer, rewind), NoVa Caps and RMNB, and from the home side, OC Register and Anaheim Calling, plus a super set of great pics of a bad game by Bridget Samuels.
- For those keeping track at home, that’s ten games in a row without a goal for Alex Ovechkin. :-( [theScore]
- To be honest, the goals have been hard to come by for the entire team of late. [PHT]
- The team held a short closed-door meeting after the game. Afterwards, the captain and his alternates met the press:
- Ovechkin - "We've been together a long time. We don't remember when we lose four in a row, and that's a good thing." [@ikhurshudyan]
- Orpik - “We make hockey our first priority and focus a little better than we did on this trip.” [RMNB]
- Backstrom - “Things were going a little too easy but now it’s the other way. It can change quickly here.” [PHT]
- Trotz - “This is going to make us better.” [CSNMA]
- Congrats to Marcus Johansson, who tallied his 100th NHL goal.
#Caps Marcus Johansson is the 27th player in team history to record at least 100 goals with the franchise. Fourth Swede in the group— Ben Raby (@BenRaby31) March 13, 2017
- This “taking penalties” thing is getting out of hand. [CSNMA]
- Per Justin Williams, the team should be embracing these “playofflike” conditions. [WaPo]
- Ovie the Bulldog greeted players, coach and fans at the Staples Center. [RMNB]
- Andre Burakovsky has taken the next step in his recovery, on-ice with team trainers, doing some light scrimmaging and taking some shots, if perhaps a bit gingerly. Progress! [CSNMA]
- Prospect updates:
- Shane Gersich scored his 21st goal to help send North Dakota past St. Cloud State and into the NCHC Frozen Faceoff conference championship tournament.
Since REA opened, the only underclassmen to have more goals than Gersich's 21: Parise, Toews, Oshie, Brock Nelson, Boeser, Duncan, Bochenski— Brad E. Schlossman (@SchlossmanGF) March 12, 2017
- Don’t sleep on Brian Pinho. [SB Nation College Hockey]
- Ilya Samsonov did not see a great deal of ice time in Magnitka’s first playoff round, but he did manage to get the KHL’s 9th best first-round save. Magnitogorsk leads Barys Astana two games to none in their second round series and will drop the puck on Game Three today. [sports.ru]
- Connor Hobbs had an assist on the gamewinner as the Regina Pats claimed the WHL East Division title and set a franchise record with 102 standings points. In more good news for the organization, the Pats have been awarded the host position for the 2018 Memorial Cup. [CJME.com]
- A four-of-six available points weekend has Hershey in a three-way tie for third place in the Atlantic Division. Galiev was en fuego on Sunday, and my goodness but those autism awareness jerseys are pretty. [NoVa Caps]
- Almost-goalie fight! [Chocolate Hockey]
- Game-used hockey jersey expo? Next year we need to know about this in advance. [NoVa Caps]
- Finally, happy 48th birthday to Kevin “Killer” Kaminski.