Your savory breakfast links:
- The blizzard known as #TJSnowshie looms and puck drop has been moved up two hours to 5:00pm. [@CapsPR]
- Related: Morning skate (for both teams) at Kettler has been cancelled. [@ikhurshudyan]
- A mid-winter Friday night game leading into a Sunday matinee with the Flightless Fowl and a massive winter storm throwing a giant icy wrench into the schedule? We've seen this movie before. And it ended pretty well, as I recall. [DC Sports Bog]
- Previews of this evening's date with the DVogs (plus game notes), NHL.com and Peerless, and be sure to check out our SB Nation pals over at Anaheim Calling for the other side of tonight's matchup.
Karl Alzner is set to skate in his 423rd consecutive game in a Capitals sweater, breaking the tie with Bobby Carpenter and making King Karl the all-time Iron Man among Caps' defensemen.
- A tale of two coaches, as the Verizon Center faithful prepare to welcome Bruce Boudreau on his annual visit. [Friends in Cold Places]
- Karl Alzner is set to skate in his 423rd consecutive game in a Capitals sweater, breaking the tie with Bobby Carpenter and making King Karl the all-time Iron Man among Caps' defensemen.
- All hail King Karl:
- A little bit of luck, a fair amount of bubble gum and baling wire, and a ferocious amount of determination brought Alzner to this day. [WaPo (and previously, DC Sports Bog), WashTimes]
- Before there was Carlzner, there was Bobby Carpenter, the Can't Miss Kid. Here's the story of how his streak came to be, and how it came to an end. [Dump-n-Chase, FanPost]
- News and notes from yesterday's practice out at Kettler:
- "TV control rooms do not like surprises. They are dark places, populated by glowing lights and tense voices yelling out questions, requests, orders or expletives…or some combination thereof." The Buddys paid a visit to the Comcast studios in Bethesda on a game day to see the show as it is produced. Good stuff. [Puck Buddys]
- Craig Laughlin called in to Baltimore's 105.7 radio station to talk Caps hockey, bottom-six "roadblocks", and the biggest surprise in T.J. Oshie's game. [CBS Baltimore (audio)]
- Elliott in the Morning chatted up Braden Holtby. [EITM via YouTube (audio)]
- Justin Williams has been terrific for the Caps, and just perhaps they've been terrific for him. [S&S]
- Thanks to Alex Ovechkin, those half-price pizzas will also benefit the Make-a-Wish Foundation. [RMNB]
- Can anyone catch the Caps in the East or the Hawks in the West? [TSQ]
- The Caps have a top-4 3-on-3 overtime squad... [TSN]
- ... the best of the best top-two scorers... [Rink, Sportsnet]
- ... and a second-year general manager already gaining the envy of other team's fans. [Sun Media]
- Know this - this season's Caps aren't your older brother's Caps. [USA Today]
- And yet:
A Brief Oral History of These Not Being One of Your Close Relatives' Capitals pic.twitter.com/DeMvGvKjbu— Japers' Rink (@JapersRink) January 21, 2016