Your savory breakfast links:
- Recaps of yesterday's overtime victory from us, Vogs, Monumental video (Trotz, Holtby, Ovechkin, Schmidt, Two-Man Advantage), NHL.com, WaPo, CSNMA (gamer, rewind), AP, Frankovic, DSP, Stars and Sticks, NVC and RMNB, and from the ' room, NYDN, NYPost, Ranger Rants, Lohud, Newsday, Blueline Station and Blueshirt Banter.
- Alex Ovechkin made certain that his 800th game would be a memorable one. He scored the first goal of the game for his 498th career goal, and then a magnificent coast-to-coast rush to bury number 499 behind Henrik Lundqvist for the overtime gamewinner. [NHL,com, Eye on Hockey, Sportsnet, Puck Daddy, Fox Sports]
- "Who's got Backstrom?" That overtime goal doesn't happen without Nicky's game-tying goal with 5.7 seconds left on the clock. [CSNMA, RMNB, Expressen, Caps OT]
- An epic win requires an epic celly, and the Caps and their Captain did not disappoint. [CSNMA, RMNB, Caps OT]
- Ixnay on the alktay about inningway eakstray around Oltbyhay, m'kay? [NHL.com]
- That 500th goal? Nope, not really on Ovi's mind right now. Check back with him tomorrow when Ottawa comes to the Verizon Center. [ESPN, WaPo]
- Previews of tonight's clash with Ottawagame notes), Peerless and NHL.com, and check out our SB Nation pals at Silver Seven for the other side of tonight's match-up.
from Vogs (plus
- Ovi, Andrew Hammond will have his eye on you. [Ottawa Sun]
- The Sens have a place in a pair of previous milestones for Ovi. On April 25, 2013 the Senators were in town for the second-to-last game of the lockout-shortened season. For Ovechkin's 600th game, he scored a highlight-reel 32nd and final goal of the season, which just happened to match his Dynamo jersey number and also secured his third Rocket Richard and third Hart Trophy.
- The good people at Caps Road Crew made a handy sign you may print and bring to the game. [Caps Road Crew]
- Taking stock of all the trades and signings this week, with bonus Mathieu Perreault discussion in the comments. [Arctic Ice Hockey]
- The Department of Player Safety ought to review its review process. The two cases this week were officiated... poorly. [TSN]
- At the midterm, Holtby gets a nod but the Hart Trophy is apparently still Patrick Kane's to lose. [Sportsnet]
- Rick Nash played in Alex Ovechkin's first game and in his 800th game, and was on-ice for both his first goal and his 499th. The circle comes complete. [Game 1 (gamesheet, video), Game 800 (gamesheet, video)] et you didn't know -