Your savory breakfast links:
- Recaps and other assorted musings on last night's win from us, Vogs (plus game notes), Monumental video (Trotz, Backstrom, Holtby, Carlson, Chorney, Canes' room), NHL.com, AP, WaPo (gamer, blog), CSNMA, Peerless, Frankovic, DSP, NVC, Stars & Sticks, RMNB, and from the visitor's bench, Canes Country and Canes and Coffee.
- This Capitals Rewind feature from CSN is a real nice compilation of the key points of the game. [CSNMA (video)]
- Nicklas Backstrom got a standing ovation when he hopped over the boards for his first shift, and went on to earn every clap and cheer... [CSNMA, PHT, Caps Outsider]
- ... and he reported (to the Swedish press) that he had no pain either during or after the game. [Aftonbladet, Expressen]
Braden Holtby lost his lid and very nearly took a puck to the melon when the ref failed to whistle a stoppage in play. [RMNB, SB Nation]
- Waitwaitwait... Nicky's back? As word spread, the celebration started long before puck drop. Huzzah! [WaPo, NHL.com, AP, Puck Daddy, S&S]
- The Hershey Bears dropped the second game of their season 3-2 to the Portland Pirates. The teams play again today at 3pm.
- The South Carolina Stingrays opened their season with a banner raising, a very moving ceremony honoring the families of the victims of the Emanuel AME church shooting, and a 2-1 victory over the Reading Royals.
- Finally, happy 28th birthday to Casey Wellman and happy 36th to Alex Henry.