Your savory breakfast links:
- Recaps of a glorious shutout win from us, Vogs, Monumental video (Trotz, Holtby, Orpik, Johansson, Fehr, Niskanen), NHL.com, AP, WaPo (gamer, blog), CSNW, Peerless, Frankovic, DSP (plus three stars), BrooksLaichyear (with the fancystats), Stars and Sticks, RMNB and from the Penguins' end of the ice, Pensburgh, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, The Pensblog, and TribLive.
- Just a typical Pens game where Brooks Orpik sparks the offense & the Caps win with defense. [PPG]
- Todd Reirden, Matt Niskanen , and especially Orpik received a very warm welcome from the Pens and the Consol Energy crowd. [TribLive]
- "Goaltending 101: The Basics", a new video primer by (NHL Second Star o' the Night)
Olaf KolzigBraden Holtby . Or perhaps this is a graduate-level course. [RMNB]
- News and notes from yesterday's pregame skate:
- The Hershey Bears have had an eventful weekend so far:
- On Friday, they announced they have acquired the services of former Calder Cup-winning Binghamton Senator and Novokuznetsk Metallurgist, forward Jim O'Brien. [Patriot-News]
- Then they dropped the gloves at least four times on their way to dropping the Lehigh Valley Phantoms 4-2. [Patriot-News, Chocolate Hockey]
- And on Saturday they gave up a lead and allowed Binghamton to beat them in overtime, 4-3. The Bears remain one point back of first place Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in the East Division. [Patriot-News]
- World Junior updates:
- As captain of the high-flying Kelowna Rockets and on a defense pairing with Josh Morrissey on Team Canada, Madison Bowey has a chance to collect a lot of shiny hardware this season. [THN]
- He scored this beauty of a PP goal on Saturday, to put Canada up 4-0 over the Germans. He is 1-2-3, +5 on the tournament, and Canada has not allowed a goal yet in two games. [@Jeffler, @WHL_Facts]
- It was a less fruitful day for the Caps' Czechs. Jakub Vrana had 5 SOG and no points, while Vitek Vanecek gave up five goals on 35 shots and Team Czech Republic fell 5-2 to the Swiss.
- Here's your WJC fancystats tracker. [CHL Stats]
- The dam dirty Devils went shopping at the 3-for-1 NHL Bench Boss After-Christmas Sale, picking up Scott Stevens to run the defense, Adam Oates to run the forwards, and Lou Lamoriello to run interference... [ILWT]
- ... although they still managed to have some contract drama, apparently having forgotten to ask the Caps' permission to negotiate with/hire Adam Oates. The situation was resolved when the Caps agreed to grant retroactive approval. [@FriedgeHNIC]
- Finally, happy 38th birthday to Benoit Gratton, and happy 58th to Doug Patey.
- Oops, one more: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>After the game, Orpik had a "private" chat with Malkin, Zatkoff and an Epix boom mic: <a href="http://t.co/7HPUeP5oIy">pic.twitter.com/7HPUeP5oIy</a></p>— Seth Rorabaugh (@emptynetters) <a href="https://twitter.com/emptynetters/status/549046120891285504">December 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>