Your savory breakfast links:
● Ladies and gentlemen, Adam Oates. [Caps365 video (press conference, Capitals Report), AP, NHL.com, WaPo (and again and a column), WashTimes (and a column), 106.7 The Fan, NBC4 Washington, PHT, DSP, RMNB, RtR, Caps Outsider]
○ Ted Leonsis is happy and hopeful. [CSNW]
● In the other Caps news of the day, the team traded Dennis Wideman just days before he was set to become an unrestricted free agent (who the Caps had little interest in retaining) to Calgary for a fifth-round pick in 2013 and fellow UFA-to-be
Jordan Henry Jordan Hendry Jordan Henotgonnabeplayingforwashington. Bonne chance, DWides (who essentially hit the Powerball immediately, even if he takes a hit on his taxes). [Dump 'n Chase, NHL.com, TSN, WaPo, WashTimes, CSNW, Puck Daddy, PHT, SB Nation DC, DSP, Puckhead, RtR, Caps Outsider, Matchsticks and Gasoline (Flames), Flames Nation (Flames)]
● Alexander Semin may be next in line to have his rights traded. [PHT]
● The Caps are hoping that Oates can get the power play on track... [SB Nation DC]
● ... but should they expect it? [In Lou We Trust]
● Fuelin' the "Now that Oates is here, can Zach Parise be far behind?" dream. [CSNW]
● Seriously, though, all those big name free agents over whom fans are fawning? Don't expect any of them to land here. [Peerless]
● Quotes on Oates. [Dump 'n Chase]
● And one more: "Get out." [DC Sports Bog]
● The NHLPA's negotiating committee is Cap-less (which may be a good thing, since we're all hoping for big post-season success... zing!). [WashTimes]
● Are you not entertained?! (If not, blame this guy.) [Puck Buddys]
● The day in year-end reviews:
○ Joel Rechlicz? Joel Rechlicz. [RMNB]
● One year ago today, the Caps locked up Brooks Laich to a six-year/$27million deal. How do we all feel after Year One?
● And who've you got: Laich or Chris Kunitz? (I'd wager the answer is different if we're talking fantasy versus reality.) [DobberHockey]
● Caps first-rounder Tom Wilson chats up a dude in a tank top. [TheBeautyStatus]
● Al Iafrate's kid has been invited to Development Camp... [RMNB]
● ... as has surprisingly undrafted Aussie Nathan Walker. [@coreypronman, who had Walker rated 42nd overall among 2012 draft prospects, RMNB]
● Congrats to Caps assistant coach (for the moment, at least) Jim Johnson on a Hall of Fame election of his own. [UMD Bulldogs]
● Happy 45th birthday to the well-traveled Patrice Lefebvre.
● Finally, here's to the good folks at Kings of Leonsis, who are closing the doors on the site as they individually move (or have moved) on to bigger and better. Nice run, all- don't be strangers.