Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: Saturday afternoon is all right for fightin' , the pending race for the bottom, and checking in on the Caps' kiddies.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Recaps and other assorted musings on yesterday's loss from us, Vogs, NHL.com, WaPo (gamer, blog), WashTimes (gamer), CSNW (gamer, Joe B.), Peerless, DSP, RtR and RMNB.
- In which Matt Hendricks takes on the Boston Goo-ins and we learn that Shawn Thornton's teammates call him ... Thorty? [HockeyFights, Puck Daddy, WaPo, WashTimes, RMNB, CSNW (and again),
- Oh hai there Captain Ahab. Nice of you to stop by to stick yet another harpoon in your whale. [Eye on Hockey]
- Can't quite place it, but we're pretty sure we've seen this guy somewhere before. [WashTimes, Dump 'n' Chase]
- Previews of tonight's duel for not-quite-DFL from Vogs, NHL.com and Peerless, and be sure to check out the other side of the match-up from our SB Nation pals over at Die By The Blade.
- The Hershey Bears squad had a bunch of new faces in the lineup yesterday versus Bridgeport as Garrett Mitchell scored the only goal of the game ... in overtime. [Patriot-News (and again, plus video), SHoE]
- Calling all lefties! Prime job opportunity available. [Capitals Outsider]
- Congrats are in order for the Caps' ECHL affiliate Reading Royals, whose victory on Friday at Elmira punched their ticket to the Kelly Cup playoffs. [Reading Eagle]
- If you start driving right now you can get to the Sovereign Center in plenty of time to enjoy the Royals' "Skills Challenge and Carnival." [Reading Royals]
- Kids these days - here's a quick swing around Capitals Prospectville:
- Evgeny Kuznetsov scored an empty netter to bring the score to 4-0 over Avangard Omsk as Traktor Chelyabinsk clinched their Eastern Conference semifinal and now advance to the conference finals against one of Ak Bars Kazan or Salavat Yulaev Ufa.
- Filip Forsberg had one assist in Leksand IF's 5-2 loss to Orebro. From teh GoogleSvensk: "[The second goal was scored by] Michael Raffi who after a fine pass from [Forsberg] will alone between two OHK-rights activists." [Leksands IF]
- The Miami (Ohio) RedHawks and the Michigan State Spartans split their first two games in the CCHA quarterfinals. Riley Barber went scoreless in the loss and had two assists in the win. The teams will play tonight to determine which team advances to the semifinal/championship round. [CCHA]
- The results of the 2012-13 OHL Western Conference Coaches' Poll are in - and for the second straight year, Tom Wilson stands as the numero uno Body Checker. [OHL]
- Jaynen Rissling got the night off as the Calgary Hitmen dropped their final regular season game to the Kootenay Ice. The Hitmen will face off with the Swift Current Broncos at the Saddledome on Thursday to start the first round of the WHL playoffs. [Hitmen]
- Patrick Wey had one assisit and a plus-4 rating in two games as the Boston College Eagles swept the Catamounts of Vermont in the first round of the Hockey East playoffs. [Hockey East]
- Congratulations to Dale Hunter on the occasion of his 500th victory behind the London Knights' bench. [@GoLondonKnights]
- Finally, happy 17th of March to Dick Patrick, Patrick McNeill, Patrick Koudys, Patrick Wey, Patrik Augusta, Patrick Boileau, Pat Elynuik, Patrice Lefebvre, Craig Patrick, Pat Peake, Pat Ribble and Pat Riggin.