Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: The League heads to the courts while the Union weighs its options, the KHL announces its All-Stars and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- The latest labor-related news, non-news and assorted whatnot:
- Quoth the Bard, "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." That quote is from either Henry VI or the first of Gary Bettman's lockouts... not sure which. Regardless, rest assured there were plenty of lawyers lurking yesterday as the Union rumbled about possibly disclaiming interest... [ESPN (with an explanation of disclaimer vs. decertification here), Globe and Mail, National Post, CSNW]
- ... only to be preempted by the League, which filed a class action suit (to have the lockout declared legal) and a charge of unfair labor practices (alleging that the Union has bargained in bad faith). Good times. [The suit itself (PDF), Globe and Mail, CBC, TSN, ESPN, National Post, mc79hockey (a must-read as we get deep(er) in the legal weeds), USA Today, Puck Daddy, WaPo, WashTimes, CBS, CSNW, Pitt Trib-Review, PHT, Ottawa Sun]
- Ignoring for a moment the procedural stuff, what, exactly, is on the table at this point? [Puck Daddy]
- Baseball this ain't... [Sportsnet]
- ... but Mike Ricci-ugly it is. [SI]
- Alex Ovechkin is an All-Star (and without a suspension to excuse him from participating in the festivities), as is Evgeny Kuznetsov. [RMNB, PHT]
- Speaking of the ol' KHL, a pair of former Caps top the list of netminders in terms of GAA. Can you name the one that isn't Semyon Varlamov? [Backhand Shelf]
- Back to Ovi, nice
before-and-aftershot of the two most important women in his life. [Alex Ovetjkin]
- Notes from up in Hershey, where the Bears ready to face the Sharks tonight. [Patriot-News and again and again, Capitals Voice]
- Down a level, it was another win for the Royals last night. [Capitals Outsider]
- Finally, happy 28th birthday to .