Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: Looking ahead to tonight's final game against the Penguins, dissecting Alex Ovechkin and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Previews of tonight's third and final meeting with the Pens from Vogs, NHL.com, AP, the Pens, Peerless and RMNB, and be sure to check out our SB Nation pals over at Pensburgh for the view from the other side of tonight's match-up.
- If you want to enjoy the game in the company of friends (including at least two of us) - and with a little trivia fun thrown in - don't forget that tonight is the CSN Trivia & Hockey viewing party at Penn Social in DC! [CSNW]
- It's a do-or-die week for the Caps, as their season may hinge on how well this road trip goes. And if they survive, next week will be the do-or-die week. Hockey is fun! [CSNW, WaPo]
- There's been a lot of Alex Ovechkin chatter lately, but before you get burned out (...too late?) be sure to check out these two in-depth pieces on the captain. [WaPo, WashTimes]
- Speaking of Ovechkin, pretty cool profile of the Great 8 from 2004, back when he was still an optimistic, happy, speckle-faced lad of 18. [Alex Ovetjkin]
- With Tom Poti (back) on the injured list, the Caps need help to replenish a banged-up blue line. Oh my god, that's Dmitry Orlov's music! [Caps, WaPo, CSNW, RMNB, DSP, PennLive]
- A few leftover thoughts on Sunday's win, including Jason Chimera 's big goal, Braden Holtby 's almost-goal, Steven Oleksy's almost-fight and that Steve Ott guy. [WashTimes, CSNW, WaPo (and again), OFB]
- Tomas Kundratek chats about hockey memories, hockey heroes and other assorted hockey... stuff. [THN]
- As the Caps continue to fight for a shot at the playoffs, the Bears take to the road to try and lock up a spot of their own. [LDNews]
- NHL GMs will gather in Toronto tomorrow for their annual meeting, with the focus on (among other things) boarding, hybrid icing and coach's review. [Puck Daddy, SI, Globe and Mail]
- In this week's 30 Thoughts, a look at how many GMs feel the trade deadline has become too inflationary... that's shocking. SHOCKING, I say. [CBC]
- The women's world championship gets underway in just a few weeks - and with the USA and Canada expected to duke it out for gold (again), the big question is, who will be third? [Globe and Mail]
- Finally, so much misery, so little time... leave it to Down Goes Brown to seek out every last crumb of sadness and schadenfreude in the couch cushions of the NHL. [Grantland]