USA TODAY Sports
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: Looking ahead to the first of two straight Southeast slugfests with Carolina, checking in with the Bears, remembering a former Caps coach and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Previews of tonight's rematch with the 'Canes from Vogs, NHL.com, Peerless and RMNB, and be sure to check out our SB Nation partners over at Canes Country for more from the other side of tonight's match-up.
- A few leftover thoughts, feelings and images from Sunday's loss to the Rangers, including some in-depth analysis on what was a rough game for the captain. [Japers' Rink (pics), WashTimes, WaPo, DCEx, Puck Buddys]
- Speaking of Alex Ovechkin, Thomas Boswell had some interesting (read: depressing) observations in this week's live chat. [WaPo]
- Heading into tonight's game, the Caps sit seven points back of a playoff spot and eight points back of first place in the division. Do they have a second-half playoff push in them? [WaPo (and again), WashTimes, with more midpoint musings at Puck Buddys and TSN]
- So that Steve Oleksy fellow's been pretty good so far, eh? [Sick Unbelievable, CSNW]
- Adam Oates has just 24 NHL games under his belt as a head coach, but he's already providing balance and stability to a team badly in need of both. [NBCW]
- Some guy named Brooks Laich has some big plans for today. [CSNW, @brookslaich]
- Talkin' trade deadline and potential trade bait (and the impact on both of the Ryan Getzlaf contract), with plenty of Mike Ribeiro chatter... [ESPN ($)]
- ...except here. Top 20 pending UFAs likely to be traded and Ribeiro is nowhere to be found? K. [Edmonton Journal]
- A look at the new Atlantic Division neighborhood from one of our new neighbors. [The Cannon]
- Down on the farm, the Bears have just sixteen games remaining in the regular season and are clinging to a playoff spot by just one point. Buckle up, kids. [LDNews, SHOE]
- One thing that might help: the return of Dmitry Orlov, who seems pretty glad to be back on the ice. Hopefully he'll be even happier to be back in DC... [RMNB]
- In case you haven't had enough of Evgeny Kuznetsov being Evgeny Kuznetsov yet, well, here's more. Just keep telling yourself he's only twenty...he's only twenty. [RMNB]
- Quite a few familiar names - both as friend and foe - for Caps' fans on this list of the all-time biggest NHL dirtbags. Hooray! [Grantland (DBG)]
- The hockey world bids farewell to Jimmy Anderson, AHL great and former Caps' coach who passed away yesterday at the age of 82. RIP, Jimmy. [Dump 'n Chase, MassLive]
- Lower projected revenues for the NHL means higher escrow which means less money for players. Which they're sure to love. [SI]
- Everyone loves those #fancystats, but what kind of an impact can a goaltender have on a team's defensive results? [BHS]
- Finally, happy 44th birthday to Tyler Larter and happy 36th to Brent Johnson.