Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: Players in and players out on a day off for the Caps, Forsberg honored in Sweden and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- The big news of the day revolves around the waiver wire, as the Caps snatch up forward Aaron Volpatti from Vancouver... because you can never have enough feisty fourth-liners. [Caps, WaPo, WashTimes and again), DCEx, CSNW, WUSA9, The Province, PHT, DSP, Caps Across the Pond]
- Learn all about the newest Cap from the people who know him best. [Edmonton Journal, Vancouver Sun, Nucks Misconduct]
- Don't expect Volpatti to do much to change the fact that the Caps aren't getting much from their left wings. [Dump 'n Chase]
- With a few Caps seemingly on the mend, Casey Wellman and Philipp Grubauer were returned to the Hershey Bears. Probably safe to say that the latter in particular will be back at some point. [Caps, WaPo, CSNW, RtR, PennLive]
- Associate goalie coach Olie Kolzig weighs in on Grubauer's first taste of the NHL and seems every bit the proud papa. [PennLive]
- More post-mortem on the loss to the Flyers... [CSNW (and again), WaPo, Wash Times, Caps Daily]
- ...and on Mike Milbury's charming anti-Alex Ovechkin diatribe. Joy. [Wash Times, Mr. Irrelevant]
- Wednesday night's loss aside, everything's coming up Braden Holtby these days. [NHL, Blog So Hard Sports]
- Some nice legwork here by Rink reader timmyv38, compiling a list of all NHL defensemen by ice time and cap hit - check it out. [FanPost]
- Congrats to Caps' prospect Filip Forsberg on being named HockeyAllsvenskan's best player under the age of 20. [RMNB]
- If you're interested in learning how to write about sports on the interwebs, be sure to check out this workshop with some of the best in the biz (and also our very own JP). [UMD.edu]
- Finally, happy 31st birthday to Brian Sutherby.