Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: a date with Pittsburgh awaits, Jay Beagle is hunting heifers, thoughts on what's ailing the Caps and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Previews of tonight's rematch against the Penguins from Vogs, NHL.com, Peerless and RtR, and be sure to check out our SB Nation pals over at Pensburgh for more from the other side of tonight's match-up.
- What to watch for tonight, courtesy of the enemy. So...grain of salt and all that. [Penguins]
- Notes and assorted whatnot from yesterday's practice out at Kettler:
- In general. [Wash Times, DSP]
- Shuffle up and deal! Another loss means (sort of) new lines for Adam Oates and the Caps. [WaPo, Wash Times]
- Jay Beagle puts all cows on high alert and perhaps lands himself on PETA's watchlist with his suggestion that the Caps offer up some bovine sacrifices to change their luck. Whatever works, Beags - bring on the burgers. [WaPo, Wash Times, Monumental, DCEx, CSNW, Caps Outsider]
- Eric Fehr, feelin' chatty. [Capitals Voice, OFB]
- But seriously, just what the heck is wrong with these Caps - and how can it be fixed? [NHL (Masisak), Wash Times, WaPo, SI.com, SBNation, NBCW]
- It'd be nice if that fix came along sooner rather than later, because frustration is starting to mount inside (and outside) the locker room. [CSNW]
- Good read here on the Caps, hockey intelligence and why Oates' system isn't too sophisticated for this team. [RMNB]
- The Puck Buddys answer reader mail... as only they can. Hilarious (and partially NSFW). [Puck Buddys]
- Fancystats say Alex Ovechkin has fallen. But if an Alex Ovechkin falls on a crappy team, does it make a sound? [HockeyAnalysis]
- Nevertheless, the team's not about to go pointing fingers at each other... [CSNW]
- ...because that's our job. [Homer McFanboy]
- Forget those Roberto Luongo-to-the-Caps rumors you've heard so much about - it's not a good fit. [THN]
- Except wait, maybe it is? (No. No, it's not.) [National Post]
- With just two wins in their first ten games, word around town is that George McPhee is working the phones in search of potential trades. *cue ominous music* [ESPN (LeBrun)]
- If the goalies aren't going to steal a game, maybe the shooters have to. [Sick, Unbelievable]
- Taking a break from all the "let's sacrifice a cow" stuff, Jay Beagle discussed his offseason work with skating coach Wendy Marco and what he's doing to improve his skating. [HockeyShopped]
- Good news out of Philly, as Wayne Simmonds was back practicing and doesn't seem to be too upset with John Erskine for the elbow that knocked him out of last Friday's game. [Philly.com]
- It's not the price tag on the gift, John Carlson, it's the thought that coun-...$500?? Happy Valentine's Day, indeed. [Bog]
- And finally, happy 45th birthday to Shawn Anderson, happy 43rd to Denis Chasse, happy 41st to John Slaney and happy 45th birthday to one of the greats, Peter Bondra.