Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: the Caps fall to the visiting Penguins but find positives, Holtby struggles, Ovechkin is embarrassed and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Miss any Caps-related goodies over the weekend? We've got you covered. [Rink (Saturday, Sunday)]
- Recaps and other assorted musings on yesterday's loss from us (with quotes), Monumental video (Oates, players), Vogs, NHL.com, AP, SportsXchange, WaPo, WashTimes, CSNW (gamer, blog, Joe B), DCEx, Peerless, DSP (and more), Capitals Outsider, RtR, Sick Unbelievable, Hockey Shopped, Puckhead (and again) and RMNB, and with the view from Western PA, the Penguins, Trib-Review, Post-Gazette and our SB Nation friends over at Pensburgh.
- There were flashes of spring 2012 Braden Holtby in yesterday's loss, but not enough, as the young netminder continues to struggle. [WaPo, RMNB]
- Speaking of goalie issues, one of the highlights of yesterday's game - or at least one of the better bloopers - was an amazing carom that fooled Tomas Vokoun. Clearly John Carlson is a student of Donald in Mathmagic Land. [Puck Daddy, KK, RMNB]
- The scoreboard didn't really show it, but yesterday's game was actually quite a solid, evenly-matched game - which is good news for the Caps. [ESPN (Custance)]
- Mike Green was able to take a solid check from Kris Letang before getting up to score a goal... [RMNB]
- ...while Alex Ovechkin was able to make a solid check on Sidney Crosby that put him into the net. How much is a Canadian hockey savior worth in fantasy hockey these days, anyway? [RMNB]
- Before and after yesterday's game, a lot of energy was focused on Alex Ovechkin and his continued struggles. But don't worry, guys, Mike Milbury has the solution. [CSNW, WaPo, PHT (video), Trib-Review, Alex Ovetjkin, Globe and Mail]
- Also, a visitor to the press box had the hockey world a-buzz. [gofivehole]
- While the NHL Penguins were taking care of business on Verizon Center ice, the AHL version downed the Hershey Bears in overtime, 2-1. [PennLive, LDNews, SHOE]
- Despite early struggles, Coach Oates isn't panicking and has faith that things can turn around - as he should, because the team really is making progress. [CSNW, ESPN ($)]
- Oates discusses the suspension that will have John Erskine on the sidelines for three games after elbowing Wayne Simmonds Friday night. [Wash Times]
- In prospect news, Riley Barber is lighting the lamp... and making his case to take Rookie of the Year honors. [HF, DC Pro Sports Report]
- More than a few Caps' players
pandered to their local fanspicked the Baltimore Ravens to win the Super Bowl... and were right. Congrats to the Ravens (and of course to Raven SuperFan Joel Ward) on winning Super Bowl XLVII. [CSNW, Monumental Video]
- And finally, happy 69th birthday to Gary Smith and happy 44th birthday to Joe Sacco.