Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: the Caps look to build on their big weekend win, as does Braden Holtby, NHL participation at the Olympics is in jeopardy and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Miss anything from over the weekend? We've got you covered with news from Saturday and Sunday.
- The Caps were able to grab a big two points Saturday night because they did a lot of little things right while executing the coach's plan flawlessly. What a concept. [WaPo, Wash Times]
- They also got some great - and some unexpected - performances out of their third line for the evening, composed of Joel Ward, Mathieu Perreault and Eric Fehr. [WaPo]
- But remember... it's just one win. The key is to take Saturday's win and build on it. [Wash Times, Caps Outsider, Caps Daily]
- Braden Holtby and fellow netminder Michal Neuvirth haven't been good enough often enough this season - but they hope to change that after Holtby's big shutout against Florida. [WaPo, Spectors Hockey]
- The day before his shutout, Holtby joined Tomas Kundratek and Jason Chimera to bring some smiles to the faces of some special kids. See? Karma is real, and it's spectacular. [Hockey Shopped, RMNB]
- He's not the player he once was, sure, but I'll believe that Alex Ovechkin is washed up when the person suggesting it learns how to use the term "quarter pole" correctly. [Toronto Star]
- A look back at the week that was - don't be scared at the beginning, kids, I looked ahead and it ends well. [Peerless]
- Sochi will probably happen, but the fate of NHL participation in Future Olympics is unknown, as the pissing contest continues. Hey, good, we haven't had one of those in at least a month! [SI.com, Globe and Mail]
- Caps' prospect Patrick Wey and the BC Eagles will play for the whole megillah tonight as the Beanpot tournament comes to a close. [SBN]
- Chatting with Papa Backstrom about his playing days with Brynas. [Hockey Sverige (Google translate)]
- Finally, happy 36th birthday to Dwayne Hay, happy 59th to Brian Kinsella, and happy 65th to Lew Morrison.