USA TODAY Sports
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: Recaps of last night's loss in Toronto, a look ahead to tonight's home date with the Flyers and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Recaps and other assorted musings on last night's meltdown from us, Monumental video (Oates, players), Vogs, NHL.com, AP, WaPo (gamer, blog), WashTimes (gamer, blog), Frankovic, Peerless, Caps Basketball, DSP, , OutsiderRtR, Hockey Shopped, Caps Daily, Puckhead and RMNB, and with the view from across the border, our SB Nation pals over at Pension Plan Puppets.
- Phil Kessel, meet John Erskine. [Caps Basketball]
- Need a smile? Here's one, via @drivenbyboredom and Caps Basketball.
- Here's another - big goal on a big day for Joel Ward. [RMNB]
- Pre-game notes: Marcus Johansson got back in the lineup last night, in place of Mathieu Perreault, and Brooks Laich skated with the boys. [Dump 'n Chase, WaPo (and again), WashTimes, Hockey Shopped]
- Braden Holtby is taking his pine-riding very well (outwardly, at least). [WaPo, WashTimes]
- Previews of tonight's visit from Philly from Vogs, NHL.com, AP and Peerless, and be sure to check out the best thing about Flyers hockey - our SB Nation partner, Broad Street Hockey - for more from the other side of tonight's match-up.
- Alex Ovechkin wants to win. But can he win? [ESPN, and for another "Caps need more from Ovi" article, head over to the Gazette]
- One of the early positives through the rough start has been Mike Ribeiro. [Capitals Outsider]
- The Caps (and Bears) made a couple of minor deals yesterday involving four forwards, shipping out Zach Hamill for Casey Wellman and trading Mathieu Beaudoin for Peter LeBlanc. [WashTimes, Hockey Prospectus (note on Wellman)]
- It's still not panic time. Yet. [gofivehole]
- Buyout candidates? Here are a few names to consider... and quickly forget about considering. [THW]
- Something about ticket prices in the secondary market or something. [KK]