Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: McPhee, Oates and Ovechkin meet the press, the players go for a twirl and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Notes and Notes and assorted whatnot from yesterday out at Kettler:
- In general (looks like camp opens Sunday). [WaPo (and again), WashTimes, NBC4 Washington, WTOP, DSP, RMNB, Puckhead]
- Back to normal? Not quite. But getting there. [CBS DC]
- George McPhee on the state of the Caps, post-lockout. [Caps365 (video), WashTimes]
- Adam Oates offered up some thoughts... [Caps365 (video)]
- ... as he and his staff are focused on the task at hand. [Dump 'n Chase]
- Alex Ovechkin answered questions... [Caps365 (video), Puck Daddy, WaPo, WashTimes, CSNW (and again), SB Nation, WTOP, SI]
- ... while his t-shirt asked one... [DC Sports Bog]
- ... to which Mike Green apparently is a living, breathing "nyet." [Capitals Outsider (and again!), DC Sports Bog, Puck Daddy, Capitals OT, RMNB]
- Braden Holtby has been keeping plenty busy in Hershey, but is ready to prove that Washington is where he belongs. [Caps365 (video)]
- Prior to those scrums, the boys did something that strangely resembled practicing. [Caps365 (video), WaPo, WashTimes]
- Nicklas Backstrom, however, sat this one out, which is sub-optimal. [WaPo, CSNW, WashTimes]
- In acknowledged injury news, Dmitry Orlov is currently on the shelf. [DCEx]
- Oh, and there's still plenty of CBA-related stuff to go around:
- So yeah, if you're feeling like you've got a final exam coming up that and you haven't cracked a book all semester, get caught up at our Season Preview hub (unless, of course, you have an actual final coming up and you haven't cracked a book all semester, in which case... you're screwed).
- Buy or sell the Caps as in the 18-21 range of NHL teams? [ESPN ($)]
- Either way, "Just Get In" sounds like a pretty solid goal right now. [Peerless]
- New guy snapshot: Joey Crabb. [DC Pro Sports Report]
- Congrats to Boyd Kane on his 1000th professional game (eight of which were played in a Caps uniform). [SG&B]
- Tomas Kundratek and the Bears win again. [Patriot-News, SG&B, SHoE]
- Chatting up Filip Forsberg post-WJCs. [Capitals Voice, with a note on Forsberg at Hockey Prospectus]
- Finally, happy 58th birthday to Bruce Boudreau... miss you... call me.