Justin K. Aller
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: The lockout ends, Team USA captures the goldand more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Breaking: The lockout... it is over. (For updates throughout the day, stick with the SB Nation storystream.) [Puck Daddy (and again), Y!, CSNW, Backhand Shelf]
- Congratulations to Riley Barber, Phil Housley and the rest of Team USA as the boys defeated Sweden 3-1 to capture the gold in Ufa. U-S-A! U-S-A! [Puck Daddy, RMNB, Caps, @rileybarber94, BHS]
- One of the better parts of any gold medal win at the WJC is seeing the close-up, wonderfully exuberant, horribly off-key renditions of the national anthem. And this might be one of the best. [Deadspin]
- Yeah, coming away with a silver medal probably does kind of [bleeping] sting. [RMNB]
- It's not all bad for Filip Forsberg, though, as he was named one of Team Sweden's best players and was the only Swedish rep on the tournament's All-Star Team.. [BHS, Aftonbladet]
Hey, looks like there (stop us if you've heard this one) might be (no, really) a light on the horizon (don't let us hope again)! [BHS, ESPN (and again), CSNW, CBC] One of the topics up for discussion has been length of term on the next CBA (i.e. how long we have to wait until the next lockout) - looks like there is an agreement in place for 10 years, which is not nothing. [Puck Daddy]
- Hockey's not being played at NHL rinks (yet) but that hasn't stopped the best and bravest overseas from celebrating the game...thanks to some helping hands. [WaPo]
- Finally, happy 58th birthday to Alex Forsyth and happy 37th birthday to Richard Zednik.