Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: the Caps end their drought thanks to Ovechkin ending his, scoring continues from unlikely sources, the Bears drop their fourth straight and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Recaps and other assorted musings on yesterday's big win from us (with quotes), Monumental video (Oates, Alex Ovechkin, players), Vogs, NHL.com, ESPN, Sports Xchange, WaPo (gamer, blog, Svrluga), Wash Times (gamer, blog), CSNW (gamer, blog, blog part 2, Joe B), DCEx, DSP (with audio), WNST, Caps Basketball, RMNB, Peerless, CapCentre, Caps by Puck (pics), Sick Unbelievable, Caps Outsider, and HockeyShopped, with the view from the other side by the Buffalo News (with audio) and our SBN pals Die by the Blade.
- Along with a big goal from Alex Ovechkin, yesterday's game also featured the first of the year (and the first since May 2011) for John Erskine, his gap-toothed grin and the phrase "threw a little muffin". [Caps Basketball, RMNB]
- Welcome to the doghouse, Marcus Johansson. Enjoy the nachos. [WaPo, Wash Times]
- Before the game, the overwhelming sense around the Caps was that they needed more from their top players - especially the captain. And he delivered. [WaPo]
- Speaking of Alex, it really shouldn't be that hard for him to play the right wing. And Troy Brouwer has a potty mouth. [RMNB]
- With his team off to a slow start, all eyes are on George McPhee to right the ship and quick. [Toronto Sun]
- Down on the farm, the Hershey Bears dropped their fourth straight as they fell to the Binghamton Senators in the shootout. [LDNews, PennLive]
- A guide to being a Caps fan for you menfolk out there... because everyone knows we gals need no additional help. [CapsOutsider]
- And finally, happy 64th birthday to Jack Egers and happy 47th birthday to Michal Pivonka (whom we mistakenly wished happy birthday to a day early... but whatever, Pivo deserves it).