Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: the Caps fall in overtime, Michal Neuvirth helps them steal a point and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Recaps and other assorted musings on last night's overtime loss from us, Monumental video (Oates, players), Vogs, NHL.com, ESPN (and again), AP, WaPo (gamer, blog), WashTimes (gamer, blog), CSNW (blog, Joe B.), Frankovic, Peerless, DSP, Examiner, RMNB, Sick Unbelievable, Puckhead, Caps Daily and Capitals Outsider, and for the view from the other side, NJ.com (and again and again), Fire & Ice, and our fellow SB Nationites, In Lou We Trust.
- A major reason the Caps even managed a point last night was the inspired play of Michal Neuvirth in net. Here's just one of his sparkling saves in a game full of them. [Caps]
- Alex Ovechkin didn't just shift back to left wing for this game - he gained two new (and surprising) linemates. [Wash Times, RMNB]
- As I'm sure most of you have noticed, the Caps aren't off to the best start...the rest of the hockey world seems to have noticed, as well. [NHL.com, WaPo, Cross Checks Blog, BHS (podcast), ESPN ($), Yahoo!]
- Tough to do while staring at a 0-3-1 record, but the Caps know the new system is going to take patience. [CSNW]
- If one window has closed, is another about to open? [RtR]
- Speaking of the new system, the captain chatted about it with Russia's version of NHL.com, explaining that it was 60% offense and 40% defense. Can't wait to see it! [Alex Ovetjkin]
- And speaking of the captain, how much of the blame for the season-opening losing streak falls on Ovechkin's shoulders? [WNST]
- The Bears lost, but Philipp Grubauer was good, so there's that. [Patriot-News]
- Finally, happy 55th birthday to Mark Taylor.