Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: The Caps get ready for their home opener and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- If you missed any Clips over the long weekend, here are Saturday's, Sunday's and yesterday's.
- Previews of tonight's home opener from Vogs, NHL.com, Peerless, Sick Unbelivable and RtR, and be sure to check out our SB Nation partner Arctic Ice Hockey for more from the other side of tonight's match-up.
- Notes and assorted whatnot from yesterday out at Kettler:
- In general. [Caps365 video (Rinkside Update, Oates, Green, Brouwer, Beagle, Schultz), Dump 'n Chase, WaPo, WashTimes, DSP]
- With Jack Hillen being placed on IR, the Caps have recalled Tomas Kundratek to take his spot on the roster (for now, at least... sounds like Brooks Laich may be getting close to getting close). [Caps365 (video), WaPo, WashTimes, DCEx, CSNW, SHoE]
- Braden Holtby was far from perfect on Saturday night; will he get an immediate shot at redemption tonight? [Caps365 (video), WashTimes (and again, with video breakdown), CSNW]
- It only took one game for the "Caps need more from Alex Ovechkin" articles to start. (Not that they're wrong, of course.) [WaPo, WashTimes, CSNW]
- So... what's with the PK? [Hockey Shopped]
- The early returns are in, and it appears that fans still love the NHL. [Ted's Take, Capitals Outsider]
- Tom Poti did a hit with LaVar and Dukes yesterday. [106.7 The Fan (audio)]
- Nicklas Backstrom has a new Geico ad out (which probably puts Laich in the on-deck circle for these things). [RMNB]
- Jason Chimera's biggest take away from the lockout? That it was unnecessary. No kidding. [RtR]
- A former Caps head coach has kind words for the man currently holding the position. [CBC]
- Joel Ward talks Ravens (who apparently have one game left in their season). [Hockey Shopped]
- The ups and downs of Caps fandom. Good stuff. [FanPost]
- Apparently there was a big event in D.C. yesterday, and some (Canadian) Caps checked it out. [RMNB]
- And while we're on politics, a reminder that Caps fans are everywhere in this town. [Puck Buddys]
- Digitize... or die! [Caps365 (video), Ted's Take, Sporting News]
- Despite being a full-time AHLer at present, Philipp Grubauer is expected to play in the ECHL All-Star Game. [Patriot-News]
- This year has been a bit of a roller coaster for Tom Wilson. [CSNW]
- Finally (and speaking of Hershey), Bears legend Mike Green got to do something pretty cool on Sunday evening. [SHoE]